Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Agent can't be bothered taking new pictures!

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by monalisa, 17th Jul, 2015.

1. monalisa

monalisa Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hi all

Looking at a property, which I think is well located, bread and butter.

The agent has used pictures from nearly 8 years ago - which are all nice and pretty. Apparently the current tenant has too much clutter - so the agent decided to use old photos.

I asked her I want to see current pictures of the kitchen, bathroom, pergola, and the retaining wall at the back.

She is unable to take and send any current pictures; and if I wanted someone to come have a look and take pictures she can 'try' arrange a time - and even that may be too hard given tenant may not want to give access on a Saturday.

I can ask my PM, but I wouldn't want to waste her valuable time without knowing the current condition! Actually...if the agent shared the current pictures, I wouldn't even need to send my PM.

My issue is - whether the agent is misrepresenting the house online with old pictures, and unwilling to share pictures of the property as it currently stands.

Any thoughts on this - is it legal to have old pictures ? I want to check the QLD Fair Trading rules on this.

thanks
    Monalisa

Last edited: 17th Jul, 2015
  2. devank

devank Look, lets just get on with this, ok? Premium Member

I faced a similar issue... but only 2 years apart. I asked them to add the photo taken date to those photos. At least I don't feel guilty :)

3. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

A lot can happen in 8 years.......

4. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Maybe the tenant is kicking up a fuss as they don't want their stuff advertised.

Perp likes this.
  5. Be Developer

Be Developer Property Developer Business Member

@monalisa

get PM to visit
    or Do full B&P
    or check it out yourself

clearly a case of lazy selling agent!

How hard would it be for her to click some pictures on her phone?? Phew:(

6. Propertunity

Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

Under the Privacy Act a tenant can refuse to have pictures taken if they contain the tenant's belongings. It makes it hard for the agent in this case with a tenant who is unco-operative. All the same, it would be wise of them to say that the photos were from a previous time. Otherwise, you could make a case for misleading conduct.

aussieB and Perp like this.
  7. monalisa

@Propertunity I don't think it is a case of tenant kicking up a fuss - as she said she didn't take pictures as it is cluttered.

8. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

If you want me to look on sometime in the next week I might be able to do that for you. I wont steal it off you either cause I just bought :)

9. monalisa

Hi Gockie thank you for the offer - I think it may be further away from where you will be looking to buy (based on what I understand). But will let you know :) thank you!

Gockie likes this.
  10. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

I didnt know this.
    Is this a Written Law ?

11. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

It is true but on saying that taking a few images of a kitchen and bathroom where the tenants personal affects would not be on display are what most of us require.

It becomes difficult when you are trying to make purchases interstate.

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2015
  12. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist Business Member

If the photos from 8 years ago do not misrepresent the property in its current state then there is no law I know of to stop it.

Genia and Perp like this.
  13. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Wonder if the vendor paid the real estate for those 8 year old pictures.

Esh likes this.
  14. See Change

See Change Timing Lord Premium Member

Don't complain . It's an opportunity . Lazy agent . Be persistent and look past the clutter or lack of photos

Other people are more likely to look at the nicely presented property with the extensive pictures and ignore the other one .

We're looking at a couple of properties with no internal pictures .... It could be an indication of a messy property or just a lazy agent..

Interestingly one is up for rent with another agent and has internal pictures which show quite a nice house ....

Looks like a lazy agent

Cliff

Catalyst and Esh like this.
  15. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist Business Member

My favourites are when the agent is so lazy (or vendor so cheap) that they use a streetview or rpdata screen capture as the only photo.

16. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

Dave: The one i'm buying doesn't have any pics of the water (Moreton Bay) views in the ad for the place... its only when you drive by the front of the house you go "wow". Love a lazy agent.

Also the place I have in West Ryde had a shockingly bad ad on Domain, and it might not have been on realestate.com but I knew the building and got in fast.... the next somewhat equivalent sale in the complex which was pretty much only 3 weeks later was about 50k more. And I think mine is better imho. Not loose change when the purchase price is sub 300k

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2015
  17. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Says a lot about the sales agent. If they are careless about their clients listing, then they may possibly be careless about obtaining them a good sale price also.. Might be a sign of a bad agent, which in turn is good for you.

18. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

By the sounds of it, there's an opportunity. Send your trusted PM.

19. See Change

See Change Timing Lord Premium Member

My all time favourite , though it wasn't the agents fault , was our last PPOR , which didn't happen to mention that the house in Wahroonga was on 3000m2 ......

The owner was responsible for that as he was concerned that people would be put off by having to look after the land . We were , so we subdivided .

Cliff

Esh, Kael and Gockie like this.
  20. andrew_de_a

andrew_de_a Active Member

I agree. Focus your energy on the property and not figuring out whether it is legal or not.