After a trip to Africa, I’ve had a change of plans.

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Car tart, 18th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

After my wedding in December, I’ve had three weeks with my grand son, then three weeks honeymoon in Vietnam and Cambodia, two weeks at home to rest then 25 days in Zimbabwe and Botswana mostly.

On my return, I really feel that as an investor, that I couldn’t care less about the worries. In fact I still have 5mil to invest but feel I might just pay down debt.

Has anyone else had an apocalypse moment by being in such poor countries and yet seeing the utter happiness that these poor souls still have.

In fact an investment house I own was ransacked and two as new vans stolen from behind the house, none of it is insured as the house has been empty for 10 months and the vans ($52k) were write offs to use as accommodation on an acreage I was working on.

But I didn’t give a ....! Even today on my first day back I took 6 of my vehicles to GraysOnline to sell with no reserve as I just want a less stressful life.

sharon, Anne11, Francesco and 22 others like this.
  2. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

What were those vehicles?

3. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Nothing important, mostly spare cars for kids and friends to use
    1989 Mercedes 300ce
    1992 Mercedes 180e
    2015 ford Kuga
    2006 VW polo
    1973 Leyland p76 V8 manual project
    2012 Zhongshen 250cc bike

Followed by
    1968 mustang V8
    1966 Ford Galaxie “7 litre”
    1962 valiant convertible
    1968 ZB Fairlane 351c
    1971 Ford Capri 302 V8
    And projects
    76 MGB
    1994 2.2 Subaru RX
    2000 Subaru WRX RA

charttv likes this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

"I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become"

Car tart likes this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

It's when it finally hits that money does not necessarily equal happiness.

The Y-man

6. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Life is short. Carpe diem.

I bet that 5 mill would build a school or 7 in Botswana....

ellejay, Jess Peletier and Joynz like this.
  7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

1968 mustang V8

Any info on this one?

8. Mr. Wolf

Mr. Wolf Member

It’s a simplistic view (and very western) but those people are far from happy – sometimes not knowing what you don’t have creates a feeling of contentment, until a disaster strikes.

I grew up in Africa and before migrating here 13 years ago worked in some of Africa’s poorest countries as a consultant for charities/NGO’s – on face value they look happy but what do you do when you have no hope? You make with whatever you have.

My old man runs a coffee farm in Kenya and every time I visit we have laborers looking for casual work, possibly a day rate of a dollar or two. Some of them can’t educate their kids in high schools (a majority of African countries don’t have free education). No ambulances and poor health facilities.

It makes me reflect on how living overseas for a long time has changed me, but doesn’t take away the fact these are poor souls who deserve much better.

Just read Factfulness and provides a good context on how poor societies are evolving.

Anne11, Eric Wu, JohnPropChat and 4 others like this.
  9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Everyone will go through this in their life at some stage in life ..

I have seen people in the US--South East Asia ---London---living at stop signs with everything they have in plastic bags and still more happy then the people looking into their phones waiting at the bus stop stressed out about the latest updates on social media before going to work as I walk each day..

These are a few quotes ..Nassim Taleb..

You are rich if and only if money you refuse tastes better then the money you accept..

To see if you like where you are,without the chains of dependence ,check if you are happy returning as you were leaving..

Car-Tart,just take one day at a time and let the elements in the texture of the reality of life start staring back at you then find the balance again..You will...

Last edited: 19th Mar, 2019
    Chris Au and charttv like this.
  10. Chicken or Beef?

Chicken or Beef? Well-Known Member

The stuff you own ends up owning you.

I have been going through this a bit myself over the last couple of years, selling off some ip’s and other stuff to pay down debt. After such a long period of tenants, repayments and apra complicating things it was affecting my sleep at night factor so decided to simplify our life somewhat.

Anne11, Chris Au and Propin like this.
  11. Chicken or Beef?

Chicken or Beef? Well-Known Member

Lol

12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Fixed it up for you,i blame it on giving up drinking..Best thing I ever did in my life..

paulF likes this.
  13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

How did you determine that the people you saw living on the street were ‘more happy’ than those on the way to work?

Did you ask the homeless how they felt; what their dreams were...?

Did you ask the supposedly unhappy people on their phones if they’d swap lives with one of those homeless?

The Falcon likes this.
  14. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

@Car tart this is awesome! Love the honesty and the realisation.

For me it is important to decouple from have/have not (possessions/money/etc) as the ownership or non ownership is NOT the core issue.

For me the issue is... are my priorities right and do I live for something larger than myself. If you sell everything down and live simply but are still a nasty human being then what have you gained (not saying this is true just an example). But if you take stock, get very clear on what matters for you, then took a percentage of net worth and deployed it into something YOU really believe in (whether in Africa or elsewhere) I think this increases the size of the vision which increases the passion for living. Just a thought.

Anne11, MWI, ellejay and 2 others like this.
  15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Sometimes I look at stages of my life where I spent 100 hours per week working on a job/project/idea ,

even though the time may have been enjoyable and even financially worthwhile,

at the end, I used to think, where did all that time go!, and now im older, im never going to get back that time, and I missed out on my family, friends, hobbies, experiences

was it really worth it?

Tony66, charttv and Car tart like this.
  16. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

I am quite blessed to be able to travel the world and have been to many corners of this planet. If you want a comparison between wealth and happiness, I would strongly recommend you to visit Bhutan.

17. KittyCat

KittyCat Well-Known Member

This is a good realisation, money doesn't make you happy, just more comfortable. Great idea to simplify. I made a similar choice many years ago when I decided that the corporate world was not for me. I instead decided to find work that enabled me to support causes I believed in. To find better work life balance.

Last edited: 19th Mar, 2019
  18. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I think it’s all about striking a balance. It’s hard, but trying not to let things control me. Money is a powerful beast and it ends up sucking the life out of people.

That’s why a lot of filthy reach are not necessarily happy. Some like Bill Gates or Warren decide to donate most of their income/wealth.

I’m trying to not allow things to control me. I take at least a couple of days off every month to go bushwalking , hiking and reconnecting with nature. It energises me, makes me feel happy and makes me realise that money is fleeting. The moments of seeing a whale breaching or feeling a sprinkle of rain on my face is often more valuable than the couple hundred extra dollars I would have earned.

At the end of the day, nobody knows when we will be no more. Moments like the one you had are living moments. I think they are more valuable than things will ever be.

Anne11 likes this.
  19. charttv

charttv Well-Known Member

related - the older i get, the less ambitious and more of a beach bum I have become. I used to hate going to the beach when i was younger. Now I could happily sit on one, all day long

Anne11, ellejay and Sackie like this.
  20. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

Living in the USA for 7 years and visiting rural India, Nepal and Ecuador put happiness vs the pursuit of wealth into perspective for me too.

Anne11 and ellejay like this.