After a $310k Loan at 95% LVR with LMI. Rent History as Genuine Savings?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Robbbobro, 7th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Robbbobro

Robbbobro New Member

Hi. First time posting here.

I'm getting the run around a bit. I am a high income earner and am looking to purchase my first property to live in. I have not owned a property yet.

I am looking at a $310,000 two bedroom apartment in Melbourne, decent sized, with car space. Not sure if 50m2 internal size or not but am receiving details shortly. I have approx $20k but some is from tax return and some will be from sale of a vehicle. I am wondering if there is anywhere that will lend a 95% LVR loan with LMI.

My rental history for the last year will show that I have paid about $27k per annum in rent. I have heard it's possible to use rent in lieu of genuine savings.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
    Rob.

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I suspect an asking price of $310k is going to be a very small apartment in Melbourne. Probably 1 bedroom less than 50sqm which will present its own challenges. But that's not the real problem.

There are a few lenders that will view your rent as genuine savings, but with only $20k available, I think you're still going to be about $7-$9k short.

Assuming you're a first home buyer, you won't have to pay any stamp duty. You do still have roughly $4.5k in purchase costs.

You're also going to have to have enough funds for about $7.5k in LMI. There are a couple of lenders that will add this to the loan, but they definitely will require genuine savings of at least 5%. LMI can be avoided for 95% loans using the FHLDS, but this also requires proper genuine savings. Being a high income earner might also exclude you from this scheme (if you earn over $125k).

Thus you need:
    Purchase costs: $4.5k
    LMI: $7.5k
    5% deposit: $15.5k
    Total: $27,500

Let's be frank. You've stated you're a high income earner but have no savings and you're relying on a tax refund to come up with essentially a negligible deposit. You probably need to realign some priorities and actually save some money before you're ready to buy a property.

Do a budget. Figure out what you can save and put that away every pay cycle before you pay all your other bills. When you've got 12% (enough to cover a 10% deposit & the various costs), you'll be in a much better position to purchase.

Realistically if you are on a high income, this should take less than 6 months. Melbourne prices aren't going up right now, time is on your side.

Danyool, Curious2019 and Ravi Gupta like this.
  3. Robbbobro

Robbbobro New Member

Thanks Peter.

You are quite right in being frank and saying I need to align some priorities. Thanks for giving a broken down cost. That’s helpful to realise what I need to save up for.

Covid-19 has actually been a real help in way of saving as luckily my work hasn’t been severely affected but my travel has and I do love travelling. Hopefully by October or November I will have closer to $30k saved up.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,
    Rob.

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

300k wont get you much in melbourne.

the thinking about priorities has to include, should i actively save and aim for a more expensive property that might have better growth prospects?

5. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Size of the unit is very important for both choice of lenders (especially when looking at over 80% lending) and for future resale.

Lenders that will consider rental as genuine savings include Westpac, St George/Bank of Melbourne, Adelaide Bank, AMB, AMP, Bankwest, CBA, NAB, etc.

So rental ledger as genuine savings is not going to be an issue with a lot of lenders.

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I've seen clients purchase single bedroom, small apartments over time, then sell them later. The capital growth tends to be negligible. Ultimately small apartments only cater to a very small sector of the market, which tends to outgrow them quite quickly.