AFS vs ICF walling solutions

Discussion in 'Development' started by stumpie, 7th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. stumpie

stumpie Well-Known Member

hi guys

Hopefully someone has built using these walling solutions previously and could provide your opinion. The questions I've got are:

1. which system is a better system
    2. which is cheaper
    3. what are the issues you've had
    4. was it quicker to build than traditional brick
    5. would you use it again

2. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

AFS can be fast and efficient. Its only requires taping and sanding internally and an acrylic render externally. It's very draught proof and has excellent thermal mass.

However, if you're concerned about the environment, it all concrete. On demolition, the AFS and it's concrete can't be recycled because it's designed to go up and stay up forever - not such a bad thing, but I would like to see someone take AFS and use a concrete with a high potash / flyash content to assist is carbon sequestration.

It can also be your worst nightmare if you get an installer that thinks they can just fill it with concrete and walk away. AFS has to be filled in stages to stop the panels bowing.

I don't like panel systems that provide for more than 2 layers of differing materials. Some provide for a lightweight skin that doesn't have the same expansion / contraction rates as the concrete being poured in or the external render being applied. This leads to the finish material cracking, unless you are using a cladding system or a flexible finish material.

AFS uses a compressed fibre cement sheet externally, so gets around this problem quite easily.

3. stumpie

stumpie Well-Known Member

Aaron, have you any thoughts on ICF, above comments were mainly with the AFS system.