Sports & Fitness AFL GF public hol

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Bayview, 9th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I know many hospitality owners, your assumption is fairly inaccurate.

In fact if discussing successful businesses which are often busy anyway a publoc holiday might result in no or only marginal additional revenue while increasing wage bill significantly

Foxy Moron likes this.
  2. Norwester

Norwester Member

The PWC RIS on this matter.

28 Days to comment before any change is gazetted........

So if you don't like it, then get typing where it matters.....:)

Rather refreshing though to actually see an elected government follow through with what they promised in their election platform.......:p

Ciao

Nor

3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

It may also go the opposite; a busy regional cafe for eg; everyone goes away on the Fri for the long weekend, instead of getting all the regular Fri "POETS day" workers.

Oh; hang on; then Thurs will become "POETLWE day" so Thurs will ramp up!!
    All good.:D

Last edited: 13th Jul, 2015
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My stores, which were a part of a food franchise, were only allowed to close three days a year.

I had two stores, one an outside store on a street side, one in a mall. On a public holiday, the outside store became much quieter, the mall store much busier.

However, although there was a cashflow drain on holiday weeks, especially where there was more than one holiday, it wasn't an unexpected expense. It was a part and parcel of doing business in that store. Expenses were known and anticipated. When I introduced a workplace agreement which gave employees a choice of a higher rate all year round in return for no weekend or night penalty rates, that agreement still had a higher right (just double time) for public holidays. That was because it can be hard sometimes to get people to work on a public holiday. Every now and then somebody would call in sick on a long weekend, despite higher rates. When I first took over the store on Christamas Eve, I had virtually no employees for the next week. So the higher holiday rate did motivate people to come in. The oridnary hourly rate was slightly lower for the ordinary hours to compensate.