House & Home Affordable housing for pensioner in south east Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Joynz, 13th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

One of my neighbours is a lovely elderly lady who is paying $469 a week for a 2 bedroom unit. The rental is about the same as her pension.

She been managing, but now the rent is being increased...so she has to move or find someone to rent the second bedroom. (She can’t get on a priority waiting list for public housing because she isn’t homeless.)

If anyone knows of a cheaper rental property - ideally around Cheltenham - that isn’t horrible (or even someone trustworthy who might want to rent a small room) please pm me.

2. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

That is a lot for someone on a pension. Could she possibly move into a 1 bedroom? Or rent in a retirement village- the facilities in those seem great for a renter imo.

3. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

She is an artist so needs some room for her paintings so an older unit would be better - just not a horrible one!

How much does it cost to live in a retirement village? I thought you had to purchase a unit?

5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Normal rates
    Per fortnight Single
    Maximum basic rate $834.40
    Maximum Pension Supplement $67.80
    Energy Supplement $14.10
    Total $916.30

Sad fact of life for many older Australians is they can't afford to live. Even $360 a week only leaves $100 to live on. Often it is women who suffer the most.

6. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I’m sure someone on here has invested and tenanted them in the past. I would never buy one but I think they’d be wonderful if you were a tenant. Perhaps if they are rented out it may only be done through the body Corp and not through private rental management.

7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

do they get rent assistance on top of that? That would be impossible to live on as a single

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

$469 pw seems like daylight robbery for the area unless it's the most amazing villa or house?
    There does appear to be quite a few options in the $350-400pw category which would save money. Alternatively she may need to do her art elsewhere and get a 1 bedder or flatmate

9. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

What is the maximum amount of rent assistance I can receive?
    The maximum amount of rent assistance you can receive depends on whether you are single or a member of a couple.

The maximum fortnightly amounts of rent assistance are:

Singles rate - $135.80

Couples rate (combined) - $128.00

Is this $135.8 the Maximum Pension Supplement? $67.80 x 2 = $135.6

Last edited: 14th Dec, 2018
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yes - If you own your own h
    I think the flat mate option would be good as she is very lonely.

However, she’s a vulnerable elderly lady so I’m concerned about her getting someone trustworthy. I’m going to approach a couple of local charities - maybe they’ve heard of someone suitable.

Ideally she could move in with another older person who feels they are rattling around in a big house by themselves - thereby helping each other.

11. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

It's not just older people. Plenty of people have to live on similar or less - unemployed, people with a disability, etc.

12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

For a slight increase they might be able to get a 3 bedroom which would give them a bigger villa that would be suitable to share at reduced costs each.

Also look into see if there is any NRAS available in the area as she would qualify for that. It was only on new builds though so anything would be a fairly recent build villas or apartments.