Affordability to build a home on land owned outright

Discussion in 'Development' started by noah35, 24th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. noah35

noah35 Member

Hi all,

I currently own 2 properties, one with an existing home and another with vacant land. The existing home is valued at around $380k and the vacant land about $230k. I have a current loan of $480k, which is quite large because I had to pay out my ex when we separated, so that I could keep both properties.

My intention in the unforeseen future is that I would like to build on the vacant land. However, I'm not sure I can afford it. My pre-tax salary is $87k. I am still in the process of renovating the existing property and would like to sell it - I'm hoping to at least get $380k from it, which would leave me with a loan of $100k.

Construction cost will be about $250k, which means my total loan would need to be $350k. I pay $780/m for child support from my pre-tax income, and am also looking at getting a novated lease car.

Could anyone please provide any guidance or advice as to whether I can afford to build? Thank you so much.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Best to see a broker - no indication of living expenses, other debts, repayment amounts, children, spouses etc given.

3. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Definitely see a broker to look at all options.... as a general comment I would hold off on getting a novated lease for now as that could kill your serviceability

Terry_w likes this.