Affect of depreciation on CGT payable

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by D3xx, 3rd Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. D3xx

D3xx Well-Known Member

I'm not clear on how the depreciation claimed against an IP over time affects the CGT calculated upon sale. Can someone direct me to an explanation of how depreciation impacts the value calculation?

2. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

Add up all the capital works (building depreciation) deductions claimed over time. Subtract from your IP cost base.

Make sure not to include depraciating assets such as hot water system, carpets etc.

Visit a website of ine of the QS members on this forum for a distinction between capital works and depreciating assets.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

In the absence of all other changes, depreciation AND capital allowance deductions reduce your cost base. There is more complexity than this but that's the basics.

I then get asked why bother ? Well the increased CGT should be eligible for a 50% discount and the inflated deductions bring forward cashflows at marginal tax rates. So generally speaking you should be at least 50% better off than not claiming QS deductions

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia