Sports & Fitness AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Richard Taylor, 10th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor Well-Known Member

For any of the Premier League followers out there we have a new member of the EPL elite and that is AFC Bournemouth.

Based on the South Coast 90 minutes South West of London Bournemouth are making their first ever appearance in the top flight.

The Ground at Dean Court is the smallest ever in the Premier league with a maximum capacity of 11700.

Considering Bournemouth were on the verge of bankruptcy only 7 years ago the rise from 91st in the Football League to winners of the Championship last season has been incredible. In the main down to Eddie Howe our 37 year old manager.

I was born and bred in Bournemouth and have been a supporter for nearly 45 years.

I go over to the UK ever Christmas to watch a few games each year and was at the opening game of the season yesterday to watch them play Aston Villa.

Despite dominating the game for long spells we went down 0-1 and will need to learn that the Premiership is unforgiving.

Monday week we are away at Liverpool.

If you have a favourite side in the EPL then I ask you follow AFCB as your 2nd Premier League side.

Whatever happens this season it is going to be a memorable year.

2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Looks like it will be another tough game then. It makes me wonder how a side with a ground capacity that small can compete financially. I know gate takings are only one part of the balance sheet but when you compare that to Emirates etc its a tiny home ground.

3. Richard Taylor

Oh it certainly can't compete with the transfer fees or wages of any of the Premier League clubs but can certainly survive on developing home grown players and an attractive football style encouraged and developed by our your manager.

That and the new TV deal announced from next season could be the savoir for the smaller clubs,

Charlie Austin, Danny Ings are a couple of recent ex Bournemouth players who learnt their trade on the South Coast but have now moved on too bigger clubs.

4. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Bournemouth were unlucky last night. I was reading that their 4 defenders as the same as 2 years ago in the lower division. Thats pretty amazing and good player development IMO.

5. Richard Taylor

Hi Hugh yes you were bang on.
    Disallowed goal in the first half for a so call push which was ridiculous and then conceeded a goal that was so far offside it was ridiculous. 0-1 would have been a fair result but you get punished in the Premier League for all sorts of reasons.
    Anyway staying the night in Liverpool now and will drive home tomorrow.

6. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Hi Richard
    You went to the game! I'm so jealous...
    Hugh

7. Richard Taylor

Yes Hugh just got back home to Bournemouth.

Long way but a great night.

8. XtraFL

XtraFL Member

Jealous here too. How was the atmosphere?

Bournemouth lads played well. No fear at all. In the end it was a case of Liverpool getting the decision in front of the Kop. Welcome to the Premier League.

9. Richard Taylor

Yes fantastic atmosphere. Only been to Anfield once before and that was over 22 years ago when i watched them play Southampton.

Think the Bournemouth fans out sang them.

Off to West Ham this weekend when hope we can get a few points on the board.

10. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

0-0 draw vs Palace .

Hard fought draw . Probably a fair result , though bournmouth were probably luck not to go down to 10 men in first half .

Cliff

11. Richard Taylor

Hi Cliff

Yes good point as Palace are playing well.
    Was at the game and we certainly had the better chances.

Think a yellow card was the right decision as studs were not high.

Still in 7th heaven after watching them beat Chelsea & Man Utd in successive weeks.
    Unfortunately wasn't at the West Brom game but 6 games now undefeated.

Off too Arsenal tomorrow but have a feeling that might be a different game.

Cheers

Richard

12. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Was at the Arsenal game a couple nights ago - the Emirates is a fantastic stadium.

Bournemouth fans are out of this world - they know how to support a team. It was as if the scoreline was read the other way. Bournemouth fans definitely outsang them (wasn't even close)..

Good on them and their fans. They play some pretty football too - look a little bit like Swansea when they first came up under Rodgers.

Hope they stay up! :)

Ko Ko Naing and Phantom like this.
  13. Rumplestiltskin

Rumplestiltskin Well-Known Member

These guys( Bournemouth) have a difficult 2 month period coming up.
    They've done okay so far but logic suggests they don't have enough of a buffer in terms of the relegation zone and will get caught up in a war they can't win.

My belief is they will continue to have a positive FA Cup run but will be relegated.

They play nice football but like so many, have no depth.

14. Richard Taylor

Hi Redom

Didn't realise you were over here as we could have caught up.

Glad you enjoyed the game. I was one of the Bournemouth fans singing my heart out for 90 minutes.

Think we got tired quickly and just could't match Arsenal in a lot of areas but certainly played with passion.

A draw against Leicester this weekend and then hopefully a bit of a rest in the FA Cup for the first team and we might be ok for the rest of January. Trouble is for a side with a small squad the games come thick and fast this time of year.

Hopefully a few early signing when the Transfer window opens on Jan 1 should help.

Cheers

Richard

15. Richard Taylor

Have to disagree Ruplestiltskin.

Bournemouth lost their 2 most expensive ever signings against Leicester (one after 6 minutes) for 8 & 12 months and the leading scorer in the Premier League at the time until February. 3 top players for such a length of time is hard for any side irrespective of the

2 of these players will be back in February.

The Club Captain was injured on the 2nd away game of the year and is expected back in January.

Have had the most injuries of any Premier League side.

January they have Leicester away (outplayed them at home but drew) and then West Ham, Norwich at home and Sunderland away.
    7 points from these 4 games should see them almost safe. 40 points will be needed this year.

April is the month they will struggle with Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea and home and Man United away.
    Being only the 2nd side in Premier League history to have beaten Chelsea and then Man U in successive games they will have enough depth this year.

Rumour is they have signed the next Messi on loan from Roma so if that goes thru on Jan 1 will certainly give them a zip for the rest of the season.

Some interesting additional signings in the wings also.

Having been a season ticket holder for 31 years and a supporter for 46 years certainly enjoying the best season in my lifetime.
    Shame i have to come back to Brisbane mid Jan and then back for the last 5 games of the season.

Cheers

Richard

16. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Who could match gunners this season? ;)

17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I worked for a few years in Bournemouth but didn't ever see them play. I lived in Southampton close to The Dell (when it was still around) but only got to one game. I am from Aussie Rules country after all.

18. Richard Taylor

Another great win at Palace this morning and with other results going in our favour could be only 3 wins away from survival.

Bring on Stoke and then Arsenal at home.

Cheers

Richard

19. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

mmmm :(

Cliff