Aerials

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Jess Peletier, 18th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hi all,

I have a house that's about 2 years old, and the tenants have complained about the TV reception. Had a guy go look at the aerial, he reckons it needs replacing for $550 because 'it's a cheap one and there's bits missing'.

First of all, how the heck can 'bits be missing' when it used to work fine, and second, is two years really soon for an aerial to die, no matter how cheap?

Third, is $550 expensive for a new aerial?

Thank you!

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

EVERYTHING used to "work fine" until it ends up broken.
    May be storm damage? or cheap plastic bits not UV stabilised on the old antenna that have failed. You'd better get it fixed quickly as tenants can't live without TV reception. :p

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Generally yes, that is a lot. But it really depends where the property is because signals strengths can vary. From memory, my last one was less than $200. ~$190? That was in Melbourne though. I would get another quote.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Yeah maybe cheapy plastic bits. :(

I'll get some quotes for a new one.

5. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

There may be a need for a booster unit if the reception is sub par.
    They are around $100 on their own, plus a new antenna, the correct one for that site specific if reception is indeed low and $550 is very reasonable imo.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Cheap antennas cost $200. Better quality ones $300+++. ....My antenna guy once explained the difference and it seemed logical. You get what you pay for. Depends where you are and signal strength. A good antenna wont improve a good signal. No of elements v's signal etc (elements = bits that stick out). If you dont have visual line of sight it costs more. Longer, higher and stronger.

Tip - He said look at your neighbours antennas to get a feel for what is needed. If they are huge affairs on a 30ft pole with a large signal booster it gets exy.

Missing elements do occur with weather and birds who sit on them.

7. Jess Peletier

Yes- apparently it looked like the birds have been enjoying it and it's a bit trashed. :) Getting some quotes to see how they come back.

8. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

There hasnt been any local storms that could have done damage to it,

I have had a property where lightening has actually hit the antenna and caused a fire to the house from it.

Maybe even look at buying an antenna booster before going all out and replacing the antenna. From memory they are around $30.00

9. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It's a VERY common scam in the aerial industry to come in and tell you that you "need" an expensive signal booster.

Also, new aerials can be very cheap and made of ****** plastic. It's well worth getting a quality item that will last fifty years instead of two. I'd be quite annoyed with the builder over that.

Last Antenna I had done from scratch in an old asbestos house, had to run the cables to the wall point and everything, horrible job- $325. No booster necessary there despite being light years away from the tower.

10. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

You can get boosters from retailers that dont cost a fortune.

But with aerial replacement for new digital one is around the $300 mark at most. That $500 amount someone is obviously wanting to go on an end of year holiday

Perthguy and Jess Peletier like this.