Advise on Property-Tallawong Station

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by RDG, 20th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. RDG

RDG Member

Hi,

Long time lurker, first-time poster.

We have a deposit on a 300sqm land within a 10min walking distance to Tallawong Station and is likely to settle in mid of this year We are a family of 4 (including 2 high school-aged kids). Being close to the station was a major requirement as we have 3 in the family travelling to the city every day. As someone in my mid-40s, I am not too keen on building a double-storey and am instead rooting for a 3 bed with 2 living single storey home. I do understand the space/privacy double-storey offers but cannot be bothered with the maintenance and cost involved with it. The land didn't come cheap and if we build the double-storey it would be 950-960K. There are HnL packages currently being sold for lesser than around that area for similar land size and their inclusions are similar to what we would want in our build. So I am unable to justify the final cost we would incur for a double-storey. My intention is to somewhere down the line get a bigger plot elsewhere(also single storey) and rent this single storey out if I feel space is an issue.

Is there a glaring point I am missing to think of? Am I making a mistake by not building a double-storey in that area? If I stick to building a single storey, what will happen to property value if I am surrounded by double storeys if there is a need to sell? Am I limiting the market? Would the single storey in a couple years time be rentable despite the apartments being built around the station? Please excuse the naivety around the questions, this will be our first property.

2. sumterrence

sumterrence Well-Known Member

In general double storey do sell higher than single and more desirable. Also a single hosue on 300m2 block means your house won't be too big and have almost no garden, a 3 bedroom unit might even offer you more space with a usable balcony.

If you can't justify the cost to build doubles and you aren't keen to live there for too long, you might want to rent somewhere while you pay off the land mortgage and when the time is right sell it instead? Or once you have a more sizable deposit or borrowing capacity you can build a larger double storey on the block to accommodate all 4 people wirh bedrooms on the ground floor and 2 sizable livings.

Those floor plans you see for 3 bedrooms with 2 livings, if you look at the dimensions one of the living is really small.

3. sumterrence

sumterrence Well-Known Member

But on the flip side I do see great potentials around Tallawong as the amenities surrounding the station gets more mature.

4. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Hi Mate,

I am assuming (based on my knowledge), the land would be around 610k.

I would suggest that you go for a double story because of following reasons:

1. you can only build once until next 30 - 40 years at least.
    2. your neigbours might be building double story and you will be deprived of sunlight.
    3. you can build a 4 bed comfortably on a 22 squares which might be difficult in a single story house.
    4. you can add a double garage which otherwise would be a luxury in that area.

yes, you will be looking at 40k more in building a double story. Price wise, for a double story fully premium inclusions with/ without turnkey you would be looking at: 350k/365k.

So you total is going to be what you are estimating as well. I think it is the land that is now comparatively cheaper. A friend just locked in a 500 sq mt land in Schofields for 625k so yes, there would be a difference but you pay more for convenience of transport.

Regards

5. RDG

RDG Member

Yes. I was hoping to keep the single storey as a rental even If we decided to move to a bigger lot down the line. But I don't know the viability of renting out a house with a 3X10m backyard over the apartments coming up in the area near the station.

6. RDG

RDG Member

The land in the area is not as high as you quote(booked off the plan 1.5 years ago) but its the build that is costing a lot more than we anticipated(we liked double-storey designs that ended up being 28 squares).Thanks for the inputs,gives us reasons to think.

7. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Who are the likely tenants going to be once to move out? Will ‘most’ families be happy with a 3x2...or is 4x2 more acceptable/desirable in the area?

If you’re only going to live there short term, the decision becomes less about what you want and more about what the eventual buyer/tenant is going to want.

RDG likes this.
  8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm possibly going to go against the grain here and raise some musings of my own

A 300sqm block can handle quite a good single storey design - I know I'm in Perth and it's probably a little different here but if it was a land estate block with a cookie cutter shape that is 12.5 x 24m or 15 x 20 or 10 x 30 then we have lots of single storey designs that fit.

You will need to consider end values carefully but single storey houses appeal to:
    - downsizers (that massive market of over 55s who don't want stairs)
    - families that want to be all on the same level
    - anyone with mobility issues (not just old people)
    - people that don't want pools/large gardens - the more low maintenance types

Houses like this one - I randomly chose a cookie cutter 3 x 2 that fits on a 15 x 20 block in any estate here - would appeal to quite a large audience considering most people don't actually have 3 kids so don't need a 4th bedroom

[​IMG]

craigc likes this.
  9. qak

qak Well-Known Member

If you were thinking longer term, why not go for a 2 storey that has a bedroom/'master suite' downstairs? Then if you get less mobile, you don't have to move; the kids can have upstairs.

10. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Good to have something than nothing. 3 mts in depth by 10 mts in width is sufficient for gardening and outdoor recreation.

Regards

RDG likes this.
  11. RDG

RDG Member

Thank you, We did consider this point and if going the double-storey route we have a design that we liked that has a guest room with ensuite downstairs.

12. RDG

RDG Member

The above design is something I can happily live with and can call it my forever home. ours is 10X30 and so are most of the neighbouring ones. I did see some 3-bed single storey designs but just can't seem to decide especially after a visit this weekend where I saw all the new builds coming up are doubles.

13. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

I would be trying to fit in a double garage if possible. The Homeworld at Marsden Park has a lot there.
    The builders who have designs that do double garage on a zero lot include Hall and Hart, Burbank, Eden Brae, Lily homes.
    This is what we intend to do on our next (downsizing) house.

14. RDG

RDG Member

You are right.I was practically camping in Marsden Park Homeworld every other weekend till the lockdown brought everything to a grinding halt. But you've mentioned my next dilemma(single vs double garage). We liked a double-storey design that has a guest bedroom with ensuite downstairs but that would mean losing one car space.So now to debate over single vs double storey and then single vs double garage.

15. Westminster

I'm not up on your design guidelines for your state but in WA we can have a double garage on a 10m block for a single storey house. I'll link a few examples and maybe you can see some guidance from council etc if they would be allowed?

Tramonti
    Positano

16. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

You won't lose a parking space... it can still be double.
    For example, the Mayfair , from Hall and Hart homes, lounge can be changed to a guest bedroom, and its a double garage.
    These builders are flexible.
    Narrow block home design - The Mayfair by Hall & Hart Homes
    Then click on - Guest in Lieu of Lounge and you will see.
    Regards,
    David

17. RDG

RDG Member

That would be Interesting.I have never seen a dou
    ble garage on a single storey 10m lot our here.

18. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

My 2c, I would go a double to get the twin garage,

but if you do go the single storey idea, have a think about doorway widths as downsizers and mobility people need the extra widths and gives your place something other H&L packages don't.

qak likes this.
  19. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Just be careful to check the double garage can actually fit 2 cars - ours at 5.5m wide is a bit tight (but could be easier if we didn't have so much *stuff* in there). There are some "doubles" I have seen where I doubt two cars could fit in the door.

20. Westminster

Good point. None of them will fit the length of many utes with tow balls. And if you own 2 Landcruisers they'll fit side by side but you'll be exiting via the boot or sunroof :)