Advise needed buying sloped land

Discussion in 'Development' started by Sachi, 4th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sachi

Sachi Member

Would anyone please be able to advise whether this lot would be as standard slope, or is the slope too much for construction i.e. it will require cut and fill or retaining walls. Also, I am worried about removing the trees on this lot, what would be the cost of removing them. Any rough ball park figures and related advise about these costs would be much appreciated. So I can get an idea of what I am getting into.

Thanks a ton.

Pictures of the lot are shared on the URL below.

https://goo.gl/photos/pwkgTQRfKtZp3ghP8

Attached Files:

2. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Have a look and see what the neighbour done with their block. The slope won't be an issue. It is not a steep block.

Sachi likes this.
  3. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Looks can be deceiving. If in doubt get a contour survey done then you can work out exactly what is required.

Sachi and MTR like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

for me too difficult to tell

Phone council they can give you a rough idea on slope in terms of metres from front to rear, then phone builders can give rough guestimate on costs

Sachi likes this.
  5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

It is not so simple.

Will depend on what you will be building and soil type, do not worry about that tree (I only saw one) if you have permission to remove it would be down in a flash while other site work is done.

That slope would not worry me, looks like a great view !

Sachi likes this.
  6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

If you can see the slope easily it will cost extra. How much will depend on lots of things, it might not be much.

As others have suggested look at what your neighbors have had to do

Sachi likes this.
  7. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Also identify where the nearest sewer pit is located. Things must flow downhill. They do not flow uphill. If you'd have to trench through an existing dwelling to go downhill to the nearest sewer pit, you're going to strike trouble.

Jess Peletier and Sachi like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There's a section with a reasonable fall - what form of construction do you intend? Timber framed on steel columns would be fine but if you're talking slab and brick veneer then there will be substantial work required. Take your cues from next door and go lightweight construction (could consider blueboard with rendered finish).

Sackie and Sachi like this.
  9. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

Hi Jacqui, why does the link to Middleton Buyers Advocates in your signature go to a completely different website offering an entirely different service?

10. Scott No Mates

@JacM

11. srirang

srirang Well-Known Member

Just to add to what others have said, we were in the exact same situation a few years ago.

If you are planning to use a project builder, they will sometimes do a drive-by for you and estimate site costs. The sales guy we got did a drive-by and did this for us.

Also, he said roughly it'll be about $10k / meter of fall. Our drop was 2m and it cost about $20k for us.

12. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

A split level/step down in the slab would use far less concrete and would also give them a nice high ceiling down in the back rooms if they wanted to keep the roof all in one line, or they could have ceiling heights all the same and have a step in the roof.

Sackie likes this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Sachi I am building on a 8m slope so what I did prior to deciding was:

1.site survey and levels
    2. Soil testing (even if the slope isnt great but here is alot of rock then it can impact the cost quite a bit. Also better to know from the start if there is any rock, where it is so you can try to design around it if possible).
    3. Take info to 'split level builders' to get an approx idea of site costs, retaining walls, cheapest way to do it ect.

We're going light weight, split level and trying to avoid as much of the slope as possible with the house. From looking at your pics it doesnt look too bad at all, but when i had a second look..there are some parts with quite a slope perhaps...

Last edited: 5th Jan, 2016
    Sachi likes this.
  14. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

15. Scott No Mates

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.