Advice - we now have too many pets!

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by VeronicaR, 10th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. VeronicaR

VeronicaR Well-Known Member

We're both landlords and tenants, and personally I'm happy to have pets in our rental property. However, most landlords don't feel this way. When we started acquiring animals we were OOs. Now we have two cats and two tiny pomeranians in a property we are renting from friends. We have no plans on acquiring any more pets.

Yes, this seems like a lot, but when you consider one of the cats is a 14 year old sleeping machine, and that the total weight of our pets is less than the average staffy, it really isn't so bad.

It looks like we are probably going to be moving on the from the small town we are living in sometime soon. I'm not sure where in Australia we will end up, but I'm very worried about renting again with our "unrentable" number of pets.

I have a pet resume with details such as, all desexed, housetrained, adult, flea treated, wormed, dog weighs 1.3 kg etc. However, I fear that this will not be enough. My pets are far from destructive so I am not at all concerned about them damaging anything, and we could certainly obtain references from our friends to that effect.

Do any of you lovely landlords have any other ideas? Should I be saving up so we can offer extra rent? What would make you confident in renting to us?

We do not have any children and are otherwise ideal tenants.

Needless to say, giving away any of them or keeping them outside isn't an option.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

WattleIdo, MTR and EN710 like this.
  2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

If you come to WA I'll rent to you no issues at all :)

733, MTR and JacM like this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Poms! Tell me you have poms and That will be a yes for me personally :D
    I'd look for place without carpet if possible, less concern for LL

MTR likes this.
  4. VeronicaR

Thanks Jess, will keep that in mind :). It could be anywhere at this stage.

I have often admired your profile picture whilst lurking :). Poms are just wonderful - that's why we couldn't stop at just one!

I will certainly aim for properties without carpet. I prefer no carpet anyway. And I'd be happy to do a "no pets in the bedroom" clause if they were carpeted.

I'm mostly worried about the gut reaction people will have to "two cats and two dogs".

EN710 likes this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Those photos look good, shows they are well looked after toys. Also shows the condition you have your current place in so the next LL can see how you look after things

733 likes this.
  6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Maybe see if you can have a chat to the agent that you have several small pets and show them as @bob shovel said

7. VeronicaR

That's a good point thank you - I admit I was mostly trying to show how cute they are. :)

EN710 likes this.
  8. VeronicaR

Thank you - appreciate the advice.

I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself, but it was quite hard to find a rental when we just had two cats. I want to be prepared for any eventuality. As soon as I have a location set I will get in touch with local agents.

EN710 likes this.
  9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Cute and useless attack dogs. Those things probably brush their hair more than me

VeronicaR likes this.
  10. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

They attack with cuteness... And excellent guard dog compared to the biggies ;) brush about 5-10 mins a day, they probably got more hair than me so that's fair ...

bob shovel and VeronicaR like this.
  11. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

One of the issues you might face is agents that just bin your application without even telling the landlord about you. If that pattern eventuates, you might need to look at options that enable you to converse directly with the landlord. Ie look for private rental ads or literally ask around to see if anyone is renting privately. Asking tradespersons can be a good one since they often work on soon-to-be-completed homes and often own property or have mates that do. Pop up notices in the window of the IGA supermarket etc etc. This sort of networking of course only hooks you in with landlords that live locally. The others are accessed via ads on the internet etc.

12. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Photos are always good, shows how you look after them.

What it's worth, I'm a pet lover (nothing better than arriving to do a boring routine inspection and being able play with the cat/dog :D ) so feel free to come to Melbourne as a good portion of the properties I manage are pet friendly.

I'd make a point to talk to the agents, the good ones will give you the time of day. Consider offering more bond, if the property is available now being able to move immediately is always attractive (yes, this may double up your costs a little), pet resume is perfect, references from friends is good - however most will take that with a grain of salt.

733, MTR and EN710 like this.
  13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I might PM you in later if hubby get a job early :)

Lil Skater likes this.
  14. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Most of us look for a good rental history, an ability to keep paying and evidence of responsibilty with other people's properties. We want to see that your last rental was maintained in good order and rent was paid on time.

Once that is established pets are considered last. I've been able to push pets into properties where the landlord said no pets because I was convinced that these pet owners are more qualified tenants than the young couple with no pets just moving out of home.

I've had landlords put their foot down and go against it too and that makes the job harder and blows vacancies out beyond our control.

If a landlord is logical not emotional then you would be OK as a tenant even with pets.

VeronicaR, WattleIdo and MTR like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Now there is even a famous pom, giggy (short for gigolo), he wears clothes because he suffers alopecia, he visits children at hospital... such a STAR:)

VeronicaR, EN710 and Xenia like this.
  16. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

I am sorry, but those are not dogs. Just state that you have 4 cats. ;)

VeronicaR and Ed Barton like this.
  17. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Have been renting on and off with cats for more than 20 years and as already said by Xenia, the pets thing is the last issue to come up. Obviously, you rule out the one or two places that definitely state 'no pets will be considered'.
    I have always had at least 2 cats.
    I am in the same boat as you except now I have 5 cats (God help me!) and 2 dogs, a bouncy poodle cross and a massive kelpie x rhottie. The thought of moving on is a bit daunting but I have noticed that landlords have softened in this area considerably. I think the higher vacancy rates have helped.
    Older houses are less of an issue than newer. Steer clear of carpet where possible. Regional is dead easy. Suburbs more likely than up-market inner city.
    Yes, you have to get the agent on-side. I usually wait until all else has been checked. That was with just 2 cats. A few years ago I just rang up to make enquiries and asked whether I would have any chance with 2 cats and 2 dogs - which was the situation then. REA said yes, of course, depends on application. I will check out agent first now that I have such a big crowd.
    The animals look lovely - photos and refences help, I would imagine.
    Great to read your post. Some people still think it's acceptable to talk about disposing of your loved ones when you move. It doesn't have to be 'either/or'. Everyone stays together!
    You'll be fine.

VeronicaR and EN710 like this.
  18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

As a landlord, I have no issue with pets. I do have an issue with tenants that don't look after the pets, or my property. So, so long as the pets are well cared for, and the home in good order, there would never be an issue with me.

Whitecat, EN710 and 733 like this.
  19. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

My LL Insurance doesn't cover for pets.
    Perhaps if I keep asking one of the LL insurers will come to the party?

20. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

We had to pay an increased bond - 50% more - for our little Bichon, which we were happy to do. Couldn't help but wonder why our pampered pooch was more of a risk than the three kids the previous tenant had!!

VeronicaR likes this.