Advice wanted - Just paint or clad then paint?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by xdfubar, 21st Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. xdfubar

xdfubar Active Member

Hi all,
    Planning on getting the exterior of my PPOR painted. However on one side of the house the previous owners had the downstairs exterior painted blue. (Use to have an external spa that we have removed).

The rest of the house is currently a type of weatherboard/siding (yellow). We are wanting to paint it in some sort of grey colour.
    Just after ideas on whether to just paint the blue bit same colour as the siding, or should I get the blue bit sided/cladded as well to match the rest of the house.

Other works planned for this area is an elevated deck and repaving the existing area.
    20226351_10154595702525927_805832826_o.jpg

2. Skyegirl

Skyegirl Well-Known Member

I guess it's always good to have them painted of the same colour so it's more appealing when you are selling. However might have to increase the budget a bit.

3. xdfubar

xdfubar Active Member

So don't bother with cladding over the blueboard and just paint it as is?
    We got a quote for 6k to paint the whole house exterior incl. fascias, eaves, posts.

4. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Matching the cladding would look much nicer in my opinion.

Will you be doing anything where the original roof has been removed? I'd try and tidy that up a bit too.

wylie likes this.
  5. xdfubar

xdfubar Active Member

Do you mean where the old carport brackets are?
    I will be taking them off and clean up where required and paint as well.

Plan in a few years time to add a deck to come off the upstairs living spaces in 2-3 years time.
    Thinking of adding a small awning shade off of it in the short term when we re-pave the downstairs area.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If it is just that bit in the photo, I'd either add matching cladding, or "strapping" to cover the joints and make it a bit more "finished", (a board top and bottom and then covering each joint).

But it will depend on what the rest of the house looks like, whether it will look odd if there is just that one end wall.

7. wylie

This idea...
    IMG_0627.JPG

8. xdfubar

xdfubar Active Member

Not quite sure if I get exactly what you mean.

But rest of the house is cladding with faded yellow paint as per the upstairs exterior.
    There's that a little bit of a brick wall downstairs which you can see in the bottom left hand side of the photo, but that's only about 3-4metres long. Everything else is cladded except for the blueboard as shown.

9. wylie

... then I'd clad the blue board so you have the brick "feature" and the rest matches. Just two finishes. Don't add in a third.

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Would be a waste of money to reclad-or you could also open the area up in glass panels reset the heat pump for the a/c unit -just a pity the height under is not above the required level to turn that section into another room..imho..

11. xdfubar

xdfubar Active Member

Yeah. I am actually planning to get a building certifier in soon to see what my options are downstairs. It is actually 2250mm high downstairs, so one line of thinking is to strip the ceiling down and re-do but expose the joists? Hopefully that gets me the extra 150mm I need to legally claim them as habitable rooms.

We have actually replaced the old A/C, and the new one now has the exterior unit tucked around behind the house (right hand side of the photo).

Now to just find some weatherboards and how to install! :)