Advice Sought - Breach of Tenancy Agreement

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Frazz, 21st Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What would a detached garage being 'up to code' have to do with the issue of the garage being used by the other tenant?

Up to code' in this case doesn't mean much - especially in an older house. Unless it's an illegal construction, but I still can't see the connection with the OP.

2. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

Although from the original post Tenant A's Intimidating Boyfriend had seemingly taken possession of a garage that belonged to the incoming Tenant B, and didn't want to surrender possession despite being spoken to by the property manager.

Given the extra security added by Tenant A's Intimidating Boyfriend, and the suspicion by the OP that said garage contained items of questionable legality, and further, causing a monetary loss to the landlord by the incoming Tenant B exiting the lease, one might wonder what would happen if said garage accidently caught fire...

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The cops might be interested to hear that the garage has suddenly become "locked". Perhaps either the landlord or Tenant A is known to the constabulary.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I thinl your all barking up the wrong tree, the person must feel they had some usage rights, locking things up does not auto equal illegal activity, I would be surprised if the cops even listened to this story, it is a storm in a tea cup & the doing of the LL or PM by creating an env where this conflict could occur.

Maybe the best solution is no garage and just a car port and a dividing fence

5. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Are you advocating torching it, and then rebuilding a carport?

How do you think Intimidating Boyfriend is going to feel about his <Metaphor for Desire> no longer being locked up and invisible to others?

6. PropertyGuy

PropertyGuy New Member

Hey everyone,

Update - Spoke with tenancy union as "thatbum" recommended. The person on the phone was extremely worried that the agent/landlord would impose a break fee even after hearing the story. They stated that because I dropped off the keys a few days after sending the email stating I was terminating on grounds of breach, I had then inadvertently made actions that meant I had terminated my tenancy without giving 14 days notice. So I apparently shot my self in the foot by listening to the PM when she said to drop off the keys and I'll stop debiting rent. If I wanted to take it to tribunal and have the best chance of winning I should have held onto the keys for 14 days after putting in my breach notice and then going through the tribunal process, because my actions had now put me in breach.

After that phone call, I was pretty demoralized

I called the PM and accepted the deal, lost $400 and truck hire cost. It took them about a week and a half to get my money back and I had to continually nag them.

Pretty **** experience. Main lessons, know your rights early on, involve police if something suspicious is going on (If I had the cops there cutting locks I'm very confident something would have been found in that garage and getting out of all this would be much easier.) Call tenancy union early on for advice.

Perthguy likes this.