Advice regarding another purchase

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by A101, 3rd May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. A101

A101 Member

Hello, I'm after some advice. I've been living with my long term partner (not paying much in living costs) and last year bought a house in North Brisbane as an IP. I put a 25% deposit down on a 580k house (excluding 22k purchasing costs). In hindsite I should have borrowed more but I was nervous about taking on to much debt and kind of rushed to get into the market so probably didn't have all the info. I have good tenants and the rent pretty much covers the mortgage (P and I repayments on a 5yr fixed loan). I have made approx 100k equity since buying. Unfortunately my relationship has broken down and so now I need to decide if I move into the house (it's a bit further out than I'd like to live but i would if it financially made sense and whilst the repayments would be at my upper limit I can afford them and may consider finding a flatmate) or whether I buy a unit or cheaper townhouse closer to the city using the equity to make my PPR (probably can purchase up to 500k using equity plus I have some more cash savings of about 30k if needed). My only worry is the current IP will continue to have good growth and my GCT will be high once I sell and the unit or townhouse might not grow as well. (Would this scenario still beat renting though?) Eventually I'd like to purchase a house with land to live in closer to the city but for now i know I missed the boat on that (tough lesson!) so it might be a while yet. Thanks is advance!

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Have you considered keeping it rented, and rent a smaller place closer to where you want to live?

Is there any settlement required of assets between you and your ex-partner?

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

As a long term partner, you are legally entitled to a property settlement.

Suggest good legal advice.