Advice on PPOR reno quote, cabinet making mainly - Melb

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by PropertyVic, 29th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropertyVic

PropertyVic Member

I'm planning a move to Melbourne, and my soon-to-be PPOR will be vacant for the next month. Hoping to get some renos done before I get back and have got one quote done. I'm a bit dubious on whether it represents value/how much this stuff should cost. Is this fair? Outrageous? Any suggestions on someone else who could do the work? I don't have exact square metre measurements but it's a fairly big kitchen.

1. Replace existing countertops (approx 9m) with ambassador stone - $5170.
    2. Build new kitchen island with seating area and drawers in two pac and ambassador stone top - $6050
    3. Pantry - create new pantry with open shelving on each side in two pac - $4950
    4. Create spot for microwave by adjusting existing high cupboard - $715
    5. Re-tile splashback - $2970 (allowing $60sqm for tiles)
    6. Square off two arched entrances - $1,980
    7. Disconnect gas stove in second kitchen and discard - $550
    8. Robes on either side of a fireplace (i.e. two robes) - $3630
    9. Bookshelves on either side of a fireplace (1.2m each) in colorboard, also under and to the side of a window - $5500 total.

What do the wise heads (hopefully) gathering here think?

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Kate likes this.
  3. PropertyVic

PropertyVic Member

Thanks - can't work out how to PM in this system?

4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Hi property vic, I received your message but wasn't a pm. No idea how to reply or send you a pm as still learning the new forum!

Your quote does seem a little pricey. For example my plumber charges $200 to disconnect gas stove and discard.

I suggest get a couple more quotes. If you can post plans or photos of what you are after i am happy to help.

5. mimosa

mimosa Well-Known Member

Hodge, do you do small jobs like just vanities or just replacing doors/drawers? Go Hawks!

6. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Hi mimosa, yes i do the smaller jobs others don't like doing.

Vanities are much cheaper to buy them ready made from the shop. Even for my own projects i still come in front by buying it ready made from either ebay or bunnings.

7. PropertyVic

PropertyVic Member

Thanks Hodge... sorry if I've messed up your profile forever! I will attempt to PM you v Somersoft tomorrow.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia