Advice on investment property purchase sold with untrue rental income

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Drfunk, 13th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Drfunk

Drfunk New Member

Hi peeps

I just signed a contract on an investment property. I was told (and property was advertised as) that "...currently brings in ... rental income over $130,000 per annum. "

Income is not over $130k, highest ever per annum is $115k. It has never had an income close to that figure.

My contract is subject to finance, the subject to finance clause expires this friday.

I don't know how big of a deal to make of this. I want to buy the property still, but I think this is BS false advertising. I would perhaps like a price reduction or some other extra in lieu of this.

Given how horrible it has been to deal with the vendor I very much doubt he would do anything without lawyers involved. I'm not sure I can be bothered going down that path.

What do others think? Suck it up? Crack a big stink?

2. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you normally ask for evidence of rental income prior to purchase?

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

They lied about the income in their advertising but you've picked it up and are still considering purchasing the property. The false advertising is probably an issue for fair trading or similar. You've probably got grounds to exit the contract, tell them you won't report them if they let you walk and amend their advertising campaign. The question of should you exit the contract, is a financial decision. Does the deal still stack up on the reduced rent?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You have the opportunity to terminate the contract - need to decide.

5. DareDevil

DareDevil Well-Known Member

Is this a commercial property, might i ask? how come anything residential generate 130k income per year

6. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Perthguy and Brady like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia