QLD Advice On Ex Tenants Damage Cost Recovery - QLD

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Pleasure Paulie, 12th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

You didn't make that very clear earlier.

In short, there's a probably lots of hurdles in recovering any further money from the tenant. And a very high risk of stuffing it up or essentially spending more time and money that you would get in return.

The usual risks and costs apply for tenant debt recovery that you can see on lots of other threads, compounded by the extra legal issues that come from potentially stepping on the toes of your insurer (like voiding your insurance and getting your claim money clawed back).

I would recommend you tread carefully.

TMNT and Michael Mitchell like this.
  2. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

So you keep saying but most people got it.

qak likes this.
  3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I guess I work in an area where its dangerous to make assumptions and important to be precise.

Ted Varrick and Michael Mitchell like this.
  4. NedKelly

Update: I filed a QCAT claim and four months later had the hearing. The judge ordered the tenant pay me $4000.00. Does anyone have any ideas how to collect it?

Michael Mitchell, Tom Rivera and TMNT like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Put it into the hands of a debt collector, who will find them and do whatever it is that they do to try to make them pay?

Garnishee their wages? I don't know who can do that. Maybe you can do that yourself? I'd prefer to not interact with the person directly, and let someone else do the hard work and take their cut for doing so.

Ted Varrick and Michael Mitchell like this.
  6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

You either need to escalate it to the Magistrates Court, or give it to a debt collector.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I bet their defence would be they cant pay. Then ? Their worldy possessions are a 1999 falcon and a couch - and a dirty bong, some feral kids and a tabcorp account with piles of clothes on the floor. Sheriff will love that one. Oh and cetrelink or jobkeeper and a rental debt with the next landlord

Insurance is a means to limit loss. It doesnt prevent loss. Attempting to remedy the demage to make yourself whole again may cost more than you seek.

TMNT and Michael Mitchell like this.
  8. NedKelly

That's the problem, you can't get blood out of a stone, despite how much you may try.

Michael Mitchell likes this.