Education & Work Advice on changing jobs

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Owlet, 2nd Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

We have decided to have a 'sea change'. However, in regards to work, I am not sure what to do.

I currently have secure employment, LSL next year, another chunk of leave available after that, a large amt of sick/careers leave, a manageable workload and a devil that I am familiar with. To be honest I would be staying for the security. I will, however, need to commute 2.5 hrs a day (220km).

There are opportunities to work closer (only 25-35 min drive or 20-30km) to the new home. Potentially less secure positions. Could go either way - thrive and enjoy new challenges or should have stuck with the devil.

What would you do? Stay, take LSL (time out) and reassess at a later date. Make one change (moving the family) at a time. Or take a new job, take the LSL payout and move forward? I keep flip flopping between staying or moving on - particularly for next year. Happy to hear other peoples 2cents.

Thanks in advance

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Is it supposed to be a permanent sea change or just temporary because your partner has a temporary posting there?

Will you need to work for the money or is it more for the career or interest aspects?

If it’s just temporary, investigate taking the long service leave at half pay or less and use the time it buys you to look around.

That would let you explore part time work too.

I expect that if you did get a full time role you could change the long service leave arrangement...but be sure to check.

3. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Thanks Joynz

It's a permanent sea change. I work so that if something were to happen I can support my children. I have always worked except for brief periods when the kids arrived. Psychologically I feel that my self-worth is linked with working and bringing in an income. I also feel that having an income helps me be in a position to support my children.

I want to make life simpler. I am in a situation where I seem to do all the planning and make all the decisions. I initiate all the let's discuss our options conversations. It is very exhausting...

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I say "go for it" - we did and, despite the odd grizzle about being so far from the beach - wouldn't change if for the world.

With the money we made from a big city sale, we bought 27 acres and breathing space. The thought of going back to suburbia is horrifying.

It will work out - things happen as they are meant to - you just need to get out of the way of it happening

Owlet, legallyblonde and Gypsyblood like this.
  5. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Can you work from home?

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Can you apply for the job closer to home, take LSL at current job, moonlight at new job.
    If you like the new job, send the "I'm not coming back" letter to current job.

The Y-man

KayTea, Jess Peletier and luckyone like this.
  7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm thinking the same too for the OP.

8. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. It seems the logical thing to do is look at job options next year while on LSL or after. I had an application due tomorrow for a good opportunity - was wondering if giving up my LSL would be worth it. I've decided not to apply.
    Move first
    Settle in
    See what the travel is like
    Take LSL and assess

ok - now to my other job - property. We are in the middle of preparing an IP for rent when presented with someone who really needs a home. Not all bad - speeds up the process but a lot to organise in a few days.

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Why do you say you’d be giving up the LSL?

If you move jobs it is usually paid out as a lump sum once you’ve qualified for it. Is your workplace different?

10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I recommend against traveling. For 4 months I drove more than an hour to get to work. It seemed fun at first but quickly wore me down. It was pretty much get home, have dinner, go to bed, get up early to be on time... and on the weekends, sleeping in to catch up on sleep. I was stuffed after 4 months and ended up moving. I hated it

11. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

Can you delay the move till you have the LSL? I wouldn't give that up if I could help it.
    Also depending on where you are in your career cycle i would make the decision carefully and not rush it. Is the move forcing a rushed decision? Should the move be the actual focus or the potential progress in the next job, even though it's your move forcing this change.

12. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

Depends if you need a high income after you move or just a.slight in cone whete you can get seasonal work amd just make it.
    How stress full is your current position or is it just the drive thats annoying

13. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Don't do the travel. It's not worth it, trust me. It defeats the purpose of the sea change if you're spending 5 hours in the car everyday.

14. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

By 'giving up the LSL' I mean - I lose the time not working. Yes I will get paid out. I will have the money but won't get the time back.

15. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

We have already delayed the moved to the end of the year so that the kids can finish the school year.
    The move and factors at work are affecting my thoughts at the moment.

16. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Current work situation is not so much stressful but moral is low. I won't be doing the 2.5hrs of driving until next year.

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

If you dont need the money, then dont do it. Factor in the added costs (financial and mental) of the travel, and you will be no worse off by resigning.

KayTea likes this.
  18. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

This depends on the state.

I believe in VIC, where yourself and the poster are from, after 7 years you are entitled to be paid accrued long service leave, regardless of the reason for leaving.

In NSW, this isn't the case. You would only be eligible for paid out LSL after 5 years service if you are made redundant, or resign for specific reasons (illness, incapacity, domestic or other).

19. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

Ý
    I use to do 1.5 hrs each way amd it dug so into family time i.gave it up even tho the money was 3.times better then what i get now.
    Now i work 12 mins down the road and its less stress full amd im home and get time with the baby

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

So if you leave work for any other reason, without having used the leave, you lose it?

Wouldn’t people just take the LSL and never come back once the leave period is up?