Advice needed

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by prop_noob, 7th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. prop_noob

prop_noob New Member

Hello,

This is my first post, I have to admit I have been silently reading you guys for quite sometime now but never posted anything. I now have a problem to solve, a rather good one and I don't have a solution for it. I need help from senior and experienced members here.

My ppor is paid off, and I have an IP as well. there is some money sitting in the offset of IP reducing the interest, around 300K and another 100K invested in LICs. I feel like I can invest the money in offset somewhere else and deduct the higher interest paid on investment loan. Annual earnings are close to 100K and wife is retired. I am not interested in buying another property at this stage.

My accountant recommended setting up a trust and buy some more dividend stock/LIC/ETF there. This will save us a lot of tax every year.

Is this a good strategy for us? I am 55 by the way.

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Why would a trust save you tax? Do you have children or grandchildren over 18 with no income? Get better advice. At your age super might be a better vehicle.

3. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

wife is not working

4. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

@prop_noob - how will the trust save you tax?
    If your wife is retired, do you not have the option to invest in her name?

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Most likely - what the accountant is talking about is putting the income generating stuff in a trust so you can have the flexibility to directing the income to the lowest taxed person for that year.

The Y-man

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

If you do that and situation changes, there may be cgt implications to sell and move to another person etc down the track.

The Y-man