Advice needed for first time investor

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Nick14, 3rd Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nick14

Nick14 Member

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask everyone's opinion and experience about my situation. I am in a process of settling a property in Queensland. The owner does not have a certificate approval of carport from council and I have notified the conveyancer from the beginning and require him to place a condition in the contract for that.
    However, since the wording of my email was not clear whether the certificate for carport required from the council or just a certificate of engineering, the conveyancer has informed me that i potentially proceed with the settlement without the certificate approved by council.
    I am thinking should the conveyancer make sure from beginning the condition added on the contract is what we after even though my wording in email was not clear?. Does anyone know how much it would normally cost to get a certificate of carport?. Thank you.

Tekoz likes this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

It may not need one depending on the size and council policy

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I would just call council to inquire without giving personal details. If the deal is a good deal I certainly wouldn't want to pull out because of this minor detail.

Also have a read of this:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/plan...l-projects/structures/building-carport-garage

bob shovel likes this.
  4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hey Nick, how far away is settlement?
    You could ask your conveyancer to conduct a search on approval/application for the carport with the council - express is 48hours I think. About $150 from memory.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@Nick14

Also make sure you can get finance - if your lender finds out, you may not get finance.

The Y-man

6. Nick14

Nick14 Member

Hi everyone. Thank you for the advices.
    - It's confirmed that the carport is without council approval.
    - The finance has been approved and ready for settlement.
    - There are still a week before the settlement, but seems that I will have to proceed with the settlement without certificate for the carport.

Nick

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

now council know that it exists! better throw a sheet over it when it settles so they dont see it! it will be on their radar now

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

This is very rough but you can use the figure of $3210 for a reduction.

• When building with in the setback areas the council will charge approximately $920.00 for Relaxation (for the privilege) and the Building Certifier $170.00 for administration.
    • Building Certifiers (building Approval fees) start at $900.00 which would include council building fees.
    • Engineer for footing details $350.00
    • Drafting plans start $770.00 which include site visit and depending on information supplied)
    • Search fees as outlined earlier $100.00
    • Existing plan or survey fees note include.
    • TOTAL $3210.00

" look I was talking to council and they are very strict and can make me demolish it etc etc..there is a crack down going on now with illegal structures....... I am going to have to try and get a certificate. The cost will be near 5k....I am willing to accept $3000....otherwise my wife is just too afraid to proceed (I know you are implying to lose the deposit, obviously its a bluff and you wont pull out)."

Just maybe they will write you a check. I know its an aggressive move, but If it was me i'd try it. Just an idea.

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Worth asking the question, the worst they can say are some really personal and cutting swear words, but they could say no too.

Sackie likes this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

hehe I have heard it all before lol...right before I make an aggressive move I always invoke my emotions of "the better life I want for my family" in my mind and I gotta do what it takes to get there. Then I go for it.

I have even been literally chased away by a tenant with a stick who didn't want the place sold when I turned up to meet the agent to have a look at the place lol....

ahh fun days...

Last edited: 4th Sep, 2015
  11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Woah! How dare someone try to sell the house they're renting!
    Haha, that's awesome.

Sackie likes this.