Advice Needed: Easement

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by BHB68, 8th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you have 40cm to get where you need, I'd just use that 40cm. I'm assuming you can enter your own property from front or back, and this is a lack of room to do anything on one side?

I'd also try to speak again and repair the relationship, but a friend of mine had a situation where a property she bought was built to the boundary. The owner of the rented house next door had a long running beef with the previous owner, and carried that through to the new owner. Crazy but true. You can't always negotiate with a crazy person.

Tenants were happy for her painter to come into the yard, but not the owner.

I'd suggested she get her painter to drop from the roof on ropes so he's not touching the ground. :D

She eventually got it painted, but I won't go into more details because it sounds like your problem people live next door, so will see anything creative that you might try.

BHB68 likes this.
  2. BHB68

BHB68 Member

I am aware of the act.
    Unfortunately, there has been the occassion where the 21 days notice under this act, would have cost me many thousands.
    I have tried and tried and tried with the neighbour. Still trying.

3. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Sounds like the neighbour sees your 40cm as their yard, so when you step in there, you are invading 'their' space/privacy. I can see that point of view, it is exacerbated because there is nothing to separate you from them when you are on your land.

So - a fence.

Which is probably going to reduce your 40cm somewhat, so I hope you are slim!

Last edited by a moderator: 12th Jan, 2021
  4. BHB68

BHB68 Member

A right-of-way easement to access my property.

5. BHB68

BHB68 Member

The attached photo shows how it is. The neighbour has it sectioned off. I understand the privacy issue and have tried to reach an agreement for dates, times etc for me to enter.

Attached Files:

6. wylie

Is the gate on your land? Your house is on the left? I don't see what the problem is, but I might not be seeing things properly.

7. BHB68

BHB68 Member

Yes and yes.
    40cm from my house is boundary. The neighbour has pointed out to me , that i cannot whipper snip within the 40cm, nor fix a water pipe, or my window seal or anything else within the 40cm.
    As you can see, she has it blocked off anyway. It's a case of someone being mean because they can.

8. wylie

I might be missing something, but it appears you can do whatever you want on your own strip of land even if it is 40cm wide.

Are the sticks with the privacy slats on the boundary? The red plants are on her land? How has she blocked you from walking on your own grass?

Can you open the gate and get to your land, or does she own the land the gate sits on? You own the strip of grass behind the gate? Who owns the land where the photo was taken from?

craigc, Ryan23 and Firefly99 like this.
  9. 30215

30215 Well-Known Member

Answer dress up in a batman suit spray it at night and then cover with weed mat.

10. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I’d move the gate so it is not on your property, eg open it and then stake it so it stays open 40 cm from your house. And then mark out (with a rope maybe?) where your boundary is and walk within the boundary. Tricky being 40 cm but not impossible?

BHB68 likes this.
  11. wylie

Your first photo is confusing me. It seems the "fence" is either straight, 40cm from where your house is placed on your block, or perhaps it dog-legs and you must enter that gate which might be on her land?

If that is the case, and you have no 40cm entry to that strip, then I'd cut a door somewhere in that wall of your house (as mentioned by @jaydee) so that you can get to your 40cm strip whenever it pleases you.

Perhaps sunbathe naked on that strip of grass when the mood takes you. :D

Ryan23 and Joynz like this.
  12. 30215

30215 Well-Known Member

Or send them a ticket to the opera and get in and fix it all whilst they're out

bmc likes this.
  13. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I don't see why you can't access your own land to do those things?
    And how is it blocked off - you have a gate you can use it?

Joynz likes this.
  14. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

This. Or perhaps buy some really offensive art work and lean it against the side of your house.

Ryan23 and BHB68 like this.
  15. BHB68

BHB68 Member

The privacy screen is approx 1m from boundary.
    The gate is on my property.
    I own the land where photo was taken.
    They have "blocked" me, by pointing out that to do anything to my house or grassy mess, i wouod need to be a few cm on their property therefore trespassing.
    It's all extremely frustrating and petty.

16. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

so you want the neighbour to encumber their land with an easement so you can walk down the sideway,

images.jpg

? i still can't see why you can't go through there to trim the grass etc. Surely common sense would prevail
    for major works like painting (every 10yrs) and or major repairs, scaffolding? etc, i still think the local court access is your best bet

17. 30215

30215 Well-Known Member

Neighbours ...
    Abseil off your roof with a whippy snipper.
    What happened for your neighbour to do this?

18. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Can you confirm if the boundary is 40cm from the wall of your house, or from the gutter line?
    That could make a big difference to your accessibility.

19. BHB68

BHB68 Member

I meant their yard was blocked off by the garden and screen.
    I should try the ladder on a 40cm lean, see how thay goes.

20. BHB68

BHB68 Member

I simply want access to inspect & maintain my home that does not interfere with the privacy and property of neighbour. Which did happen for 100yrs since the houses have been here. However, here we are now.
    Thank you for your suggestions.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia