Advice needed - buiding designer/draftsman problems

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Tassie, 22nd Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tassie

Tassie New Member

Hi all,

I had some plans drawn up for a new dwelling by a building designer which took him over 12 months to draw up, get engineering done and have all relevant info lodged to council for D.A.
    The council aproved the D.A however I am now in the process of getting B.A which I am having an issue with for several reasons.

The main problems that I am up against at the moment are I am unable to get the CCW (Certificates for Certifiable Works) from Taswater as the Building Designer has not provided a full scope of work to Taswater.(more info on drawings was also requested from Taswater and yet to be provided to them) This info has been requested by Taswater via email but Building Designer has not replied or supplied the additional info they require.

Also the Buiding Designer has not provided any measurements what so ever on the plans for plumbing work. For example the toilet, shower, vanity, kitchen sink, laundry sink are all shown in the drawings however there is not one measurement anywhere in relation to any of the pipes etc that the plumber needs to install before slab can be poured, I have emailed him with the above issues but he has not replied.

My question is are any of you able to please inform me who am i best to contact in relation to these issues, I was quiet stressed out that it took 12plus months to get the plans and D.a. I dont think i could handle all this stress again waiting another 12months or waiting on a reply from him.

I dont think it is acceptable that I have paid all this money out to the building designer yet he hasnt provided sufficient information for me to be able to start the build, even worse he is yet to reply to me, taswater or the building surveyor to my knowledge. I am thinking/hoping there is legislation and laws in regards to this, I am just unsure as to the correct authorities to contact to make a complaint for the way I am being treated and the service I have received. I wish i didnt have to go down this path but have no other choice.

I have used another buiding designer twice since this and all has gone smoothly and i couldn't be happier with the end builds.

Thanks Tassie

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is it 'normal' in Tassie to get dimensioned hydraulic plans?

3. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

First up - what was paid for? What was the agreed scope of works?

Secondly - a dimensioned drawing to plumbing layouts is a pretty basic thing to draw - would take all of 30mins max once opened. It's not standard practise here for single storey homes to have a slab and plumbing setout - usually for multi-story apartment blocks / commercial it is.

Thirdly - being unsure of what Taswater are requesting, I would suggest you check your agreed scope of works for what is being supplied / what is being paid.