Advice for buying warehouse

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by pinewood, 12th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. pinewood

pinewood Well-Known Member

Just wondering if the experienced commercial property investors can help. A family member wants to buy a industrial/warehouse (first property) to live in. sold with vacant possession. What are the pros and cons or buying a commercial property to live in?

2. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Being allowed to reside in the property legally is a good start.

Commercial is generally for conducting business.

pinkboy

MRO, Phantom and DaveM like this.
  3. pinewood

Thanks @pinkboy ...appreciate this alert!

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Why would someone choose to live in an industrial property? Someone where I work was doing it but he was renting the property and decided to live there for a while. Landlord was ok with it. Hard to believe someone would buy one though just to live in it?

5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

There are older style warehouses that you can partially or fully reside in. Some are in a commercial zoning and others may be located amongst residential buildings.

What exactly does the person want with the property primarily. Is it just residential or is it to run a business and reside alongside that business.

6. pinewood

price for one and location/convenience.

7. pinewood

Yes, residential primarily and business to run alongside secondarily.

8. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

As pinkboy said, legally you are not allowed to live in properties zoned commercial. The reality is though who is going to care? Unless the person is a pest no one is going to report them and it isn't like the council go around and check if people are living in them. As I said, someone in my complex was doing it and it was actually a good thing for us - free security service! Someone was always around keeping an eye on the place. The guy who owns the whole complex was living in his one too for 6 months when he had a bust up with his wife.

9. pinewood

Thanks @Biz, yes seems like a lot of people are making homes in commercial zoned properties that it didn't cross my mind it was against regulations. This one has kitchen, nice bathroom/shower facilities.

10. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

But it only takes one.

11. Chilliblue

There are occasions where someone is able to legally reside in a commercial property

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Chilliblue Usually only if a caretaker's unit is permitted under the zoning.

Caretakers unit would have to comply with BCA for a dwelling (ie include smoke alarms) but would also have requirements for exit/emergency lighting, FHR/Hydrant etc

13. Chilliblue

I know that Scott that's why I countered the myth that you cannot reside in commercial properties. I manage several such properties.

You also have older commercial properties in now predominantly residential areas that some councils will allow part residential.

You need to know what the council regulations are for the area that you are interested in and where they allow.

Rarity yes but not a unicorn.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've known people who lived in industrial areas, in warehouses or whatever.
    One had a caravan inside a large area.
    As above, not sure on the legalities of it in different states.

15. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

Asbestos.

16. Dazedmw

Dazedmw Well-Known Member

Assuming you are in Vic, what is the zoning?

If you are in an Industrial zone (Ind 1, 2 or 3) residential accommodation is prohibited except with a caretaker's permit. However those permits are hard to obtain and Councils usually require a good reason for someone having to live on site. "Convenience"usually isn't enough.

If the zoning is Mixed Use or Commercial 1 then there are more options. Commercial 2 would also usually be a no go.

I have seen it fairly often, esp middle aged men going through a divorce who set up a residence in their warehouse. The main issue I have found is insurance esp in a unit complex. You burn the place (and neighbouring units) down cooking your dinner and the OC insurance may be void and you end up liable for the lot.

17. Ian Macleod

Ian Macleod Active Member

I remember some industrial units advertised in Byron bay a few years back that had a mezzanine over the industrial unit. They had a balcony out the front and full living quarters with bathroom and kitchen. They were not advertised as a place to live but they were certainly trying to give the impression that it was possible.

7 Grevillea Street, Byron Bay, NSW 2481 - Industrial/Warehouse for Sale #501392035 - realcommercial.com.au

In our small town the industrial area has quite low vacancy rates and many of those industrial spaces have people living in them. It may be illegal but the authorities turn a blind eye to it, and its not unheard of for people on low to no income to be living in storage units.

18. pinewood

Thanks @Ian Macleod Yes it's in Byron and apparently many people are living in these industrial warehouses and the ads do seem to imply it esp with the furnishings. @Dazedmw, yes will need to check the zoning.

19. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Also be mindful that even if purchased with approval of a caretaker's unit or similar or without, that ceiling heights for habitable rooms meet code. 2400mm is a good start. Best to check with council whichever way the intended purchase goes.

20. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

I know a divorced guy who celebrated his singledom by buying an industrial shed. He had a large toy collection - as in motorbikes, cars, a boat etc etc. He reckoned that way he could live next to the things he truly loved.

Some zones are easier to live in then others. You can be kicked out quite quickly though if you do it without approval.