Advice! FHB grant is back....

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by hammer, 11th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I have a well founded hunch that the Government will reintroduce the First Homebuyers grant for existing properties in an effort to get the market moving again.

This is for Darwin.

The market here is in pretty bad shape, so I can understand why they are keen to help things along.

Anyone have any idea what it will do to the market? Normally I understand that it causes the market to rise....but what about in a severely depressed market? Does it still make a difference then?

Need to get a PPOR. The initial plan was to wait 12-18 months whilst the market continues to drop. I fear that the introduction of the FHB will mean that I need to change my plans....

I am classed as a FHB up here.

Thoughts? Would really appreciate some input here....

BigKahuna likes this.
  2. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

When the FHBG was introduced in NSW, everything that met the grant criteria shot up almost overnight. In the end people had more to spend so they spent it. The grant money ended up in the pockets of developers and builders instead of the first home buyer.

I would sit on the sidelines and watch the market until it bottoms out. This may be 12-18months but could be longer, can never be sure. Then go low-balling existing properties while the market sentiment remains down, and get something below its real value. Would also steer away from anything that qualifies for the FHBG

Barny likes this.
  3. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Kick back and wait some more as befuddled said. It won't push the market up. And definitely low ball when it's bottomed or when you think it's bottomed. I don't think the bottom will hit till 2-4 years away, but that's one persons opinion.

Best of luck

4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guys....I'll keep plugging away with the original plan. Every day my deposit gets bigger and the prices get smaller...

Barny and Bran like this.