Advertising for Investors and ASIC rules

Discussion in 'Business Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by Simon Hampel, 17th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Does anyone have any experience or deep knowledge of the rules regarding advertising for investors in a business venture? In my specific case, I'm looking for a better understanding of my obligations as the publisher of a website where businesses may come seeking investors (and conversely, investor may come seeking businesses to invest in).

I recently came across ASIC Class Order [CO 02/0273], which discusses exemptions to the fundraising provisions of the corporations act specifically for those people running a "business introduction service" and not specifically offering securities.

I haven't had time to digest this fully yet, but given how frequently I get asked about these things, I'm thinking it may be worthwhile exploring this further to see if I can allow people to advertise for investors legitimately.

Until now, I've been refusing to publish such things on the grounds that they may be against ASICs rules - but if there is a way I can legitimately allow it to happen (in a controlled manner), I'd like to explore that possibility.

2. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it surround not recommending, endorsing or selling such deals directly? Instead just being the publisher / advertiser / channel for deals to be promoted / discussed with the standard disclaimers that cover you?