Advertising a rental when its self managed?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by D3xx, 3rd Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. D3xx

D3xx Well-Known Member

The websites realestate.com.au, domain.com.au, and such only advertise for real estate agencies. Is there a way for a self managed property to advertise through these sites?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You can use cubbi. It is the easiest site I've used that allows me to advertise. Cheap too.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Forsaleforlease.com.au is another option

balwoges likes this.
  4. wylie

I've used forsaleforlease and found cubbi an easier site to navigate. Both do the job though and I've had success with both. Getting on re.com and other similar sites is key and both do that. I'm sure there are others too.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  5. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

In QLD- Gumtree and www.rent.com.au are common sites that many private landlords seem to use. On www.realestate.com.au this is stated at the bottom of their advertising page "I understand that I need to hold a registered real estate licence to advertise on your sites" so yes as far as I am aware private landlords cannot advertise on there - unless licensed. There are also quite a few private rental pages on Facebook that many do advertise on.

All the best!
    Jodi

6. wylie

I've also used gumtree and rent.com. I have found good tenants on gumtree but you do get some not so desirable types who cannot go through an agent. I think rent.com may not have been able to get my advert onto re.com but, like gumtree, it was listed on their own site, but it was quite a number of years ago, so I'm not sure.

I've also experienced (second-hand) two instances of fraud committed on gumtree, using my advert, and with one potential tenant smelling a rat in time, but another who paid over hundreds of dollars due to the scam. It was nothing to do with me. Someone in Nigeria used my photos and the description from another ad (photos didn't even match the description) and someone fell for it.

With the other sites, you are listing via an agent, so calls and emails get to me via the agent. I'm guessing this is okay with re.com or they wouldn't be able to do it.

7. Hatch

Hatch Member

Ive used both gumtree and fisbo.com ( cheap basic package to get onto realestate.com) I have tenant application forms handy at my opens(you can find examples on the internet) and these seem to scare off the suss tenants from gumtree, leaving those who know they have nothing to hide as they will complete and return. I also have set open times twice a week, once on Saturday and one at around 5.30 on a weekday. I have found Wednesday to be a good day, in Adelaide anyway.

Gypsyblood and legallyblonde like this.
  8. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Get a real estate agent to place the ad and forward on the advertising fee. Many agents will also do fixed fee placement only letting. Usually a week or two's rent for advertising, opens, screening tenants, and preparing lease, then you take over managing. Money well spent in my book.

9. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I like this idea from the Owner's point of view. Had done this in the past.
    But from a Property Manager's perspective, what is a reasonable charge?
    You know the process/time involved from putting the Ad, to inspections, screening, acceptance.. it can be a lengthy process and the reason you do is that you'd get the PM fees later.
    If you dont get the letting, how should you charge?

10. wylie

I've only ever paid one week's rent plus GST and advertising. It isn't a lot of work and (for example) $560 + GST is good payment for holding a 15 minute open house, doing some checks and putting names on a lease IMO.

I've even found the tenant on Gumtree before and sent them to the agent rather than cut the agent out, and I've had an agent ask if I am happy to do the lease and entry condition report. So they really are taking a week's rent + GST for holding a 15 minute open (that time).

Last edited: 5th Aug, 2016
  11. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

The best i have seen is FSORBO. $199. numerous photos on realestate.com.au and many other sites until it is sold for basic listing or you can upgrade to premium listing. Fantastic service. Easy. rented my last ip with them easy for top dollar.

12. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

Sorry . That price of $199 is to sell a property. The price to place a rental add on FSORBO
    is only $99. I have had fantasic service from these people.You get numerous photos on Realestate.com. I have also used DIYsalesandleasing.com.au but prefer FSORBO because it is easier to make changes. Don't like Gum tree

13. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Let only is an interesting one because there's a wide variety of variables involved when most agents charge as a multiple of weekly rent, i.e;
    - How expensive is the property (i.e. $300wk or $600wk for similar amount of work)
    - How hard it ends up being to rent the property (enquiry processed, viewings held, applicants screened)
    - What services are provided (Just advertising? Open homes? Applications? Entry condition report? Lease and Bond? Photos and premium marketing? Etc.)

On 'average' there's a LOT of work involved start to finish. I was charging 1 weeks rent plus GST when we first started the business to get my foot in the door with many clients, and it worked very well for me. However, I wasn't kidding myself into thinking I was making a cent from the service itself with an average rent of under $350wk.

14. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Are you still charging the same for let only?

15. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Unfortunately It just wasn't sustainable, so we have changed the fee structure for let only's.

For full service (see attached file) we'll charge two weeks rent + GST, capped at a rent of $350.00wk. This includes professional photos and online advertising (REA Highlight, etc etc). We can charge less for clients who only want parts of the letting- i.e. they want to do their own viewings, entry condition report, etc, but I haven't had anyone take me up on that yet so I haven't defined a fee structure for the individual components.
    We'll also waive half the fee if people decide to use us for ongoing management (i.e. it becomes a normal let fee).

Assuming an average letting time of two weeks -which means about 5-6 viewings- it's still not overly profitable, but I still like let only's for the fact that it gives me an opportunity to show new clients how we operate and gets our brand out there. Larger businesses don't tend to see the opportunity in this so they aren't overly popular elsewhere.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread with the psuedo-sales pitch!)

Attached Files:

Joynz likes this.
  16. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

That seems fair.

Tom Rivera likes this.