advantages / disadvantages to not changing from accumulation to pension when you retire

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Wanttoretire, 10th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Wanttoretire

Wanttoretire Well-Known Member

A question?

Husband retired in August. 61. He hasn’t started an account pension. Just living off his end cheque and my wage.
    We have a small CG this year. And we did want to add another 25k to his super to offset this.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to not changing from accumulation to pension when you retire?

2. BillyN

BillyN Well-Known Member

Whilst your super is in accumulation, all earnings (i.e Capital Gain & dividend income) within the super fund is taxed at 15%.

If you convert your husbands super into an Account Based Pension, the earnings tax rate falls to 0%. So this is a big positive, tax free earnings. A negative is that he will need with take regular payments from the pension each year.

You can operate both an accumulation account and a pension. So even if you start an account based pension, you can still make contributions (assuming you have not exceeded the $1.6mill cap).

There are other considerations, so please see a financial adviser if you are uncertain.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Poached from Noel News 20/11/18.

upload_2018-11-21_7-36-9.png

If they're meant to be a guide for how much you'll need in super to live comfortably, there are a few holes in the numbers (without going into too much analysis):

Housing - $100-120/wk - that may cover rates, insurance, water but what about if someone rents?

4. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

5. BillyN

BillyN Well-Known Member

Note that Centrelink Age Pension alone does not cover even a Modest lifestyle.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Your definition of modest must be different to mine. I know a pensioner who just got back from an overseas trip. only source of income is the govt pension.

7. BillyN

BillyN Well-Known Member

I'm using the ASFA Retirement Standard figures quoted earlier. I know plenty of aussies get by on Centrelink alone.

Managing to squeeze an overseas trip into the budget is impressive though.

Terry_w likes this.