SA Adelaide Western Suburbs - City to Sea

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Xenia, 5th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Interesting..

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

The one in your example does not look heritage lol

3. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    That one on Victoria Road has been on the market for a while. It's a nice block but the house is only 93sqm (barely bigger than a semi). It is near the beach, but it's also facing the industrial wasteland of Torrens Island and the Largs North fuel terminal. It still has potential if the council are open to development though.

Woodville North has potential as well. It's still got a lot of scummy housing trust duplexes in the area and old run down places, but due to it's proximity to the city it's bound to get better eventually. How long is anybody's guess though.

Speaking of the western suburbs the paper had another real estate article again today. This time featuring Mansfield Park. No Cookies | The Advertiser
    I'm not really sure how they came to that conclusion.

Xenia likes this.
  4. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Not a fan of Seaton?

5. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

Interesting that those who had aggressively argued that buying in Adelaide was a bad idea now seem ok with the idea.

jim1964 and joel like this.
  6. 2FAST4U

I've never really looked into it. It's a nicer area than Woodville North though.

Xenia likes this.
  7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

And I think Largs bay is even nicer due to being closer to the coast.

2FAST4U likes this.
  8. Drgonzo

Drgonzo Well-Known Member

I don't agree with the constant MP bashing. There are other factors people consider when buying property or renting. I just bought into the Playford Alive development (I am building) and the facilities there are great. It's a modem area with more space which appeals to younger families. Not everyone needs to be within walking distance to a latte, but then again, they sell coffee in MP too, who would have thought!

D.T. likes this.
  9. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

What is MP?

10. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

DrGonzo, try Playford Pizza just on the outside of the shopping centre. Their pizza's are awesome.

Xenia, Im going to presume from the context of the post (being he is building in playford) that MP stands for Munno Para.

11. Drgonzo

Drgonzo Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll try it when I'm next over there

Nemo30 likes this.
  12. joel

joel Well-Known Member

It's improved a lot up there for sure, but there's a helluva lot of land being released too

Xenia likes this.
  13. n_t_r

n_t_r Member

It's also zoned residential restricted ( not heritage ), which means you an replace the dwelling but not add another.

Restricted Residential Policy Area 65
    1 The continuation of existing residential uses but no new residential development until the potential hazard impact from nearby industry is reduced to a level compatible with residential development.
    DESIRED CHARACTER
    This policy area is located in close proximity to significant industrial activities. The impacts of these industrial activities will constrain development opportunities in the area. Existing dwellings at the end of their economic life cycle will be replaced but there will be no additional dwellings built until the hazard risk associated with nearby industry has been reduced to acceptable levels.
    PRINCIPLES OF DEVELOPMENT CONTROL Land Use
    1 Development should be for the maintenance of existing residential development.

2FAST4U and Xenia like this.
  14. n_t_r

n_t_r Member

Mansfield Park I'm guessing

15. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

2 properties now sold in western suburbs approaching the $1 million mark, one was in Kurralra park - 5 bedroom house for $997,000 and the other one was sold by my agency at $999,500 (I know right!).

If you look at similar properties at identical geographical distances from the city and compare north to south suburbs - say 10km from city, house prices are Basically (not exactly) similar when you are comparing north and south.

Do this west to east - both are landlocked due to some geographical structure and prices vary in price for similar properties at the same distance from the city!

Why is 10k from the city in western suburbs much cheaper than 10k from city in eastern suburbs?

Answer - no reason!

Western suburbs have one of the biggest growth potentials Adelaide has to offer.

16. 2FAST4U

Nah I think it was Munno Para because he mentioned Playford in the post. Speaking of Mansfield Park I can see why the annual growth rate has been around 9% for the past 5 years- it's basically all brand new homes. Housing SA demolished a lot of the old semis for the Westwood project and developers bought out a lot of the old houses.

I was thinking of purchasing this place:
    299 South Road Croydon Park SA 5008 - House for Sale #120979710 - realestate.com.au
    I called the agent, but he said it's under offer although it's still going through a cooling off period. Obviously being on South Road it's not an ideal location. On the other hand if the Government decides to extend the Torrens to Torrens to the Superway (which would make sense) you could get some good compensation for it. Probably a bit speculative though. Either way there are plenty of properties out there so just got to keep looking.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Schools & prestige?

Personally I prefer the beach & shopping options (e.g. closeness to Westfield Marion) of the west.

18. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Eastern suburbs are more residential, less crime, more trees

barnes likes this.
  19. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

As a newbie to Adelaide, have to say there are some really ugly suburbs with no appeal whatsoever. There are horrible industrial buildings in the middle of residential. Some suburbs are very old and tired looking.

There are also lovely suburbs (often with price to match). I really like the suburbs between the city and cross rd (out of my league, but beautiful). I personally don't like the suburbs between the city and the airport.

I've got my eye on a couple of little pockets for a new ppor.

20. 2FAST4U

Definitely.
    My friend used to live at Cowandilla. It's really close to the CBD, but you literally have planes flying 10m above your house throughout the whole day. I imagine most other suburbs around Henley Beach and Sir Donald Bradman road would be similar. I guess you get used to them though.

I prefer the Croydon region. Woodville is nice as well, albeit Woodville North and Woodville Gardens are still pretty ghetto being near Arndale and Hanson Road- It's Adelaide's version of Cabramatta.