SA Adelaide (south) heating up

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by R377, 19th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Expert

Expert New Member

Moana was originally farming land from 1841. In the 1850s a local landowner lent his name to the beach and it became known as Dodd's Beach. In 1855, when shipping was the primary means of cargo transport in the area, the Nashwauk was wrecked on the beach near the Pedler Creek outlet.

Due to an increased interest in tourism in the area, in 1927 the land was subdivided by Lake Beach Estate Ltd who held a competition to name the new town. Mr C.H. Cave won the competition with "Moana", which is a Māori-language word meaning "ocean". The land was divided into blocks of land suitable for holiday homes and wide streets were planned and laid out, but due to the Great Depression in 1929 development of the area was slow.

In the 1950s Moana experienced renewed interest from tourism as the residents of Adelaide enjoyed the freedom and mobility of car ownership - Moana was a pleasant 40 minute drive from Adelaide.

In recent times, the urban sprawl of Adelaide has reached Moana (and beyond) and so Moana is now one of Adelaide's outer southern suburbs.

Moana is divided into two by Pedlar Creek and the associated sand dune reserve. The northern part of the Moana is referred to as the "old survey Moana" and the southern housing development as the "new survey".

Never giveup and Serveman like this.
  2. Toucan

Toucan Well-Known Member

The only reason prices are up in the south is because there's a 20-30 year housing supply shortage. Supply & demand is all it is. In Moana there's only been 20 sales since Feb this year & that includes units & townhouses
    I used to like Christies Beach, had lived there for 15 years, but it's changed & not for the better, targeted infill with town houses taking over, crime getting worse, ice addicts everywhere. It's an undesirable place to live, though I can see why it may appeal to an investor.

2FAST4U likes this.
  3. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

One thing we have noticed for sure is the cost of getting maintenance done with trades people is quite a bit less than Victoria. Just had some new carpet and vinyl flooring put down and total cost is about half what it would be here.

4. Jerms

Jerms Active Member

I just re-did the floors in my place in Para Hills (tenant moved out breaking lease) repolished floors in the living areas down stairs about $1800 and new carpets up stairs 60SqM for the same, around $1800. New tenant's are happy with the result.

On a side note this area looks to be heating up also. "finally" Ive been

Kriv and Cousinit like this.
  5. What does the fox say

What does the fox say Active Member

How about North of Adelaide? Again, seeing a cluster of suburbs with good DSR's.

6. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

You might be chasing a bolted horse for inner north ADL, has been highly priced over the last 5 years. Just check Prospect and surrounding.

Now that the M1 expressway is in play, everything from Virginia (not an area possibly ever mentioned here) inwards is now 30 minutes or less from the CBD - same as Semaphore or Glenelg.

The same green field space is not available in the south, that I'm aware.

7. Jerms

Jerms Active Member

DSR Data are showing some very good signs, Para Hills is at 80 in the top (6 for prise point Aust wide), From memory Huntfield Heights 78 Christies beach and adjacent suburbs are down Morphet Vale is 76 I think. North Eastern suburbs I looked at were in the high 60's low 70's. Adelaide is very much looking on the up and up.

Kriv likes this.
  8. What does the fox say

What does the fox say Active Member

Modbury North seems like a good pick. Ticking all the boxes and hasn't had much growth at all yet, possibly at the bottom of the cycle?

NickWCBA likes this.
  9. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Interesting observation.

Christies Beach 80 offences.

upload_2020-11-6_11-59-33.png

Christie Downs 69 offences

upload_2020-11-6_12-2-48.png

Hackham West 26 offences

upload_2020-11-6_12-0-28.png

Robert Chatsworth and Toucan like this.
  10. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

size of suburb matters here :). So prospect has 87 offences, devon park (right next door) has 8. DOes that mean prospect is feral and Devon Park is not? Probably more to do with hte fact that Prospect is HUGE and Devon Park is tiny.

NickWCBA likes this.
  11. Toucan

Toucan Well-Known Member

Yep that doesn't surprise me at all, I hadn't even looked up stats, my mum still lives there & I see it happening.
    It's getting pretty bad. Ice addicts at servos & shops all the time & you can tell because of they're loud, aggresive & erratic behavior also the cashiers are on edge serving them, i've seen many scary arkward moments this year especially.
    My mum has had many thefts from cars & the letterbox even with security cameras up. She had the cops bail up with guns drawn a man in her front yard who was hiding under her bedroom window, had my 6yo nephew with her. It's just scary.

2FAST4U likes this.
  12. Robert Chatsworth

Robert Chatsworth Well-Known Member

A mate of mine has three rentals in Morphett Vale. When they are vacant, he has to sleep there in a sleeping bag on the floor, otherwise things get stolen (hot water heaters) or vandalised.

Morphett Vale 130 total offences

Morphette Vale.png

2FAST4U likes this.
  13. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    The part of Prospect neighbouring Kilburn and Blair Athol is fairly feral :p

14. jim1964

jim1964 1941

So,lets actually talk to someone that has multiple properties in CB.I bought in 4 years ago at $315,000 on this one,currently rents at $320 per week.
    Mid next year, i am going to demo the home, and split the plock as per the attachment.Great passive income, and the CG, its already here.I have agents falling over themselves to list as it is,

Attached Files:

15. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Interesting anecdotes only. What the offences statistics omit is that Morphett Vale is the biggest (by total dwelling numbers) suburb in Adelaide with the total number of dwellings equal to that of Elizabeth, Elizabeth Downs, Elizabeth East, Elizabeth Grove, Elizabeth Park and Elizabeth South all added together. So tally up all the offences committed in these Elizabeth suburbs combined and then do a comparison :eek:

I've has 2 IP's in Morphett Vale for 10 years and no problems with crime.

Rambo, boganfromlogan and S1mon like this.
  16. Toucan

Toucan Well-Known Member

Regarding crime stats Morphett Vale is a large suburb, but Christies Beach & Christie Downs aren't.
    And even if you cut Morphett Vale in half & halve the offences to 65, that's not really something to feel comfortable or safe about.

Also again, it comes down to supply & demand.. When theres a -57% decline in stock on the market compared to last year in the Onkaparinga council area, then doesn't one think that it's the lack of supply pushing prices up? How long can that last? Who knows.. It's certainly a good time to sell it seems.

2FAST4U likes this.
  17. SophieH

SophieH Member

Yes, the demand is high. Last week, I came to inspection an unit in Parkside, there are more than 20 groups. What a surprised!

18. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

My opinion is that current demand is being driven by first home buyers and home up-graders. Investors will enter the market in the new year when the moratorium on evictions ends 31st March 2021.

19. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

So erica, will that mean that first home buyers and upgraders will be JOINED by investors? That sounds like a boom. Why would investors wait? and not get in early?

20. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

should have contacted me. Beach side properties and suburbs will always do better than Happy Valley and Aberfoyle. Massive propected gum trees with no development. A 80s / 90s posh suburb going down hill. No gentrification like christies etc