SA Adelaide Property News 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by D.T., 8th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

There's more on the cards apart from that; they want to completely surround the Port Dock area with apartments on all sides. Where is the demand coming from? Are they hoping that they can sell them to interstate investors who don't know what they Port is actually like? Part of the issue is that despite the immanent "gentrification" of that area there's still extremely high unemployment in and around the Port, you only have to spend twenty minutes walking around to see that there are still a lot of social problems out there. Will expensive apartment developments alleviate that problem - or will they all end up under-occupied and difficult to sell on like the New Port development on the other side?

Also interesting to note the same developer did Vue on King William Street - there's a lot of people in that tower unhappy with the design and the ventilation apparently.

2. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    No Cookies | The Advertiser

Australian Bureau of Statistics for May show the jobless rate in SA fell to 5.6% - the third lowest seasonally-adjusted figures in Australia, behind New South Wales and Victoria.

ollidrac nosaj and D.T. like this.
  3. tutes

tutes Member

Within each city there are particular areas ripe for forward-thinking investors.

Below are my picks for investment opportunities in each city:

Adelaide

City of Marion
    I rate the middle-market precinct of Marion because of its long-term resilience and more recently because of the number of growth suburbs in this local government area, which have grown in each of the past four quarters. Marion, south-west of the Adelaide CBD, ranks as the no. 1 market in the Adelaide metropolitan area and one of the strongest in the nation.

The city of Marion offers affordable properties as well as low vacancies. A number of suburbs — including Glandore, Hallett Cove, Marion and South Plympton — have shown good growth in median prices in the past year, with more expected in the near future. Long-term capital growth rates have been solid.

City of Playford
    Playford LGA is the fastest-growing local government area in South Australia and has one of Adelaide’s most active property markets. It is characterised by affordable housing, low vacancy rates and high rental yields. Suburbs such as Elizabeth Park, Craigmore and Munno Para West have median house prices below $300,000.

The property market is underpinned by the region’s strong industrial sector, its status as Adelaide’s leading sector for transport and logistics, and the presence of many significant jobs nodes, including the vast Edinburgh Defence facility.

City of Onkaparinga
    The city of Onkaparinga, in the south the Adelaide metro area, is a location worth considering by property buyers. It has a track record of steady price growth and above-average rental yields in one of South Australia’s strongest population growth areas.

Over the next 20 years, the region is expected to receive an influx of 48,000 additional residents, making it one of Adelaide’s strongest growth areas. The LGA includes beach suburbs like Seaford and Aldinga Beach, a renowned wine district and new growth areas.

Finding the next hotspots – 3 best locations in 3 emerging city markets - Smart Property Investment

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  4. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

5. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Adelaide’s top suburbs for price growth in the past year revealed - realestate.com.au

IF you are lucky enough to own a house in Glenelg South, chances are it earned far more than you did in the past 12 months.

New figures provided by realestate.com.au show the median house price in the beachside suburb have risen by a cool $440,000 to $1.4 million in the past year.

This is roughly five times the average Australian annual wage of $81,500.

6. trp35

trp35 Well-Known Member

7. ollidrac nosaj

SA leads nation for auction action

SA leads nation for auction action

"According to CoreLogic data, Adelaide recorded the highest auction clearance rate in the nation last weekend, delivering a clearance rate of 72.7 per cent."

8. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Absolute rubbish. Look here and make an informed analysis of median house prices :Public Information - REISA

For Glenelg Sth, there were only 6 houses sold in the march 2018 quarter, and this median figure is being compared to the March 2017 quarter of only 3 sales. I recommend; ignore all median values in a suburb with less than 20 sales over the quarter.

Guest and Brady like this.
  9. ollidrac nosaj

I check it every qtr.

No thanks.

Why would i ignore a data set that might give me a competitive market advantage over yourself?

Hypothetically lets say i chose to research Glenelg sth. I might find some useful information.

How many dewelings are there in the suburb? Is it comparable in size to neighboring suburbs? What is the sales volume in comparable suburbs? What is the long term average median sales volume? Is it 2? or 22? Why are sales volumes so low?

What if i were to individually compare the six sales. Are they an average representation of dwelling type, land size, bedroom/bathroom combination or construction type. 99% probability they are and that would be useful information in itself.

But what if they were not?

What if 3 were characteristic of the area, one was a new build and two were on large land holdings with sub division potential? That would also be useful information.

But what if 2 were characteristic of the area 1 was in need of renovavation 1 was constructed of weather board and 2 were on blocks already sub divided ? Would you be keen holding that information, that 99% chose to ignore?

When you take conventional wisdom, expect conventional results. Sometimes it pays to look in the outer fringes.

Listen here and expand your conventional thinking:

10. Ben Chifley

I was shocked when I visited Colonades Shopping Centre at Noarlunga Centre yesterday - it had been six months since the last time I'd been there and apart from Coles and a fruit and veg shop there are no tenants whatsoever on the ground floor. I remember when the redevelopment of Colonades opened several years ago and that area was supposed to be a fresh food market type of thing - now everyone bar one tenant and Coles are going or gone. Upstairs isn't much better either - the Salvos have actually moved into one of their empty shops as a "pop up store" - which is a bad sign in my book.

That whole place looks like its dying - without any apparent reason because it was only renovated top to bottom a few years ago. The only businesses that appeared to have customers were the Job Networks at "Commonwealth House" on the northern exterior of the building.

11. Ben Chifley

Actually on reflection it could be that the Southern Expressway is draining anyone with money from that area to Marion... certainly Colonades has the stench of death about it only two years after the last major renovation; people aren't spending money there and there's less and less shops to attract customers.

12. ollidrac nosaj

SA on target for a housing boom

“If you consider our proximity to the beach, Semaphore’s already in big demand, and we’re already seeing an increase to areas like Birkenhead, Peterhead, Port Adelaide and adjacent suburbs, and I think this will continue to fuel that,” Ms Smith said."

13. ollidrac nosaj

‘We are not experts by any means’

How one savvy Adelaide property investor built a $3 million-plus, 12-property portfolio

"ADELAIDE man Radek Petlak has a $3 million-plus property portfolio, has completely paid off his own mortgage and can retire whenever he wants."

14. Ben Chifley

Its not entirely his own portfolio though - he still has 'significant debts'. Also some of his portfolio stinks - I for one would not want to own units in Whyalla - that place hasn't finished shrinking yet.

15. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

yes units or semi detached in whyalla stink
    however i am of the believe that Whyalla is about to turn the corner
    Sanjeev Gupta is the man
    do your own research

16. #Jehar

#Jehar Member

Hi Everyone,

What do people think of Findon and its possible capital growth in near future?

17. Ben Chifley

Whatever Sanjeev Gupta does with that steel plant I doubt that there will be a huge expansion on the cards with more jobs for Whyalla - Nystar in Port Pirie has also been threatening to pull the pin again recently. Both these operations have been propped up with state and Commonwealth money recently, I doubt if there will be much interest from Steve Marshall to ride to the rescue again if they need help. Regional SA is comparatively expensive considering the lack of jobs and shrinking populations.

18. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

I think you may be incorrect
    This guy is a doer and his record overseas speaks for itself.
    He has made plenty of headlines in the last 12 months and he has committed to a few projects including building there own power supply, which are in the billions
    Anyway it's interesting reading

19. Hustler

Hustler Active Member

Not to divert, but any places where units are a good investment? Inner suburbs I guess is common, but there's so many I think it's hard to see growth

20. ollidrac nosaj

Not just to power his own projects but also many others:

Gupta’s stunning deal to supply cheap solar to South Australian industry

"Gupta’s deal is doubly significant, because it is the start of his own plans to create an Australian solar-powered economy, with plans to build 10GW of large-scale solar to slash the energy costs of his own manufacturing businesses and others.
    It is also another stake in the heart of the coal industry and their apostles in the right wing of the Coalition, whose claim that only coal power can deliver cheap and reliable energy is looking more ridiculous by the day."

Also working on bringing formula E to Adelaide:

Gupta backs Adelaide push for Formula-E electric Grand Prix

"Gupta said having the Formula E Grand Prix would “align perfectly” with the state’s passion for motor sport and renewable energy.

Gupta said this would tie in with new industries, including the manufacture of electric vehicles .

“This would also require an educational system that supports and promotes this innovation to ensure South Australia is well equipped to play a leading role in these industries of the future,” Gupta writes".