Adelaide now No. 1 growth city for Property

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Air_Bender, 23rd Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Article refers to sales numbers not values.. but yes plenty of growth suburbs. Like anywhere its markets inside markets, there is no one Adelaide market.

EN710 and Air_Bender like this.
  3. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I'm never sure about the hotspotting reports.

The recommendations in the Market that I know really well (Darwin) always feel wrong, or at the very least....not quite accurate.

Could be a distance thing. Dodgy NT stats or maybe hotspotting is right and I'm way off the mark....

Anyone else get this when comparing hotspotting suggestions with their own thoughts on known markets?

4. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Interesting to read Ryder's thoughts on Perth now in true 'bottom of the market' position. Almost all of the data and commentators I've been getting across recently regarding Perth argue otherwise. They are it still has further to fall before getting better. The sheer amount of apartments still being built, supports this suggestion. That QBE/BIS report recently indicated absolutely further falls in Perth to 2019 - and not just units - but houses too.

What interests me about Adelaide despite its economic troubles currently, are the green shoots in the economy slowly starting to emerge. Smart-agriculture and renewables, the ships activity, and hopefully an uptick in education and tourism too (education particularly since there are also other attractive visa programs on offer for foreign arrivals in this state).

Smart-ag particularly, and the clever projects to desalinate seawater for use in farming in massive green house systems. Very intelligent - alllws for up to three crops of tomatoes in just one calendar year! This stuff is awesome and really only Spain is doing this on a bigger scale than SA is right now, this will be a jobs creater.

Finally, the restriction of the urban sprawl of Adelaide will help keep somewhat of a balance on property values. Yes there are still loads of brownfield and greenfield sites but once these go, thats it - no more land releases in the metropolitan areas.

Air_Bender and Nemo30 like this.
  5. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

He said Gold Coast was a basket case about 3 years ago, definite no go zone was reported, look at what has happened with houses there!

Air_Bender and Elives like this.
  6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Agree 100% there are markets within markets.

Here is my opinion:

1. Sydney is at the top of the cycle on 90% of the market. People buying now need to exercise extreme caution
    2. Melbourne is at the top of the cycle for 70% of the market. Exercise extreme caution in the inner suburbs
    3. Brisbane is starting to enter the growth phase
    4. Adelaide, Hobart are at the very early stages of the early growth phase (about 1-18 months behind Brisbane)
    5. Perth is trying to find bottom....as I said when the rental market tightens the market will enter the early growth phase (probably about 12-18 month out...)

JohnPropChat, josh123, Brady and 5 others like this.
  7. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Adelaide to be honest is still lagging.... I think the only ones that have done well in Adelaide are those high end properties in good school zones. The rest.... blah...... Lots of properties listed still are in prices from 2010 and some even passed in and took off from listing. Just hope it gets better....

JohnPropChat likes this.
  8. Pipeclay

Pipeclay Active Member

Absolutely agree. I will no longer hotspot. Being a Taswegian - the hotspots for the South Island are often laughable at best due to statistical anomalies in very small markets. Ie when looking at the power of a study one needs a certain sample size - a lot of the hotspotters don't take this into account nor do they often walk the streets of these areas.

I found the best hotspot is this web site!

9. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

You're wrong - I've seen multiple Adelaide properties who's valuations have increased YOY over the last 2-3years. These are not in the prestige school zones.
    They're mostly north eastern properties on decent size blocks with 3+ bedrooms.

C-mac likes this.
  10. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Agree with most of this - but struggle to see how you say Adelaide + Hobart are behind Brisbane's growth when both have out performed.

11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes...but I feel that Sydney is too expensive..the natural progression for cashed up investors will be Brisbane. At the same time the local *****s have woken up and now buying house also before Mexicans buy everything up.

Adelaide is next...already movement is pronounced in the better suburbs ...but not so good in Playford...

12. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

You know there is a whole heap of Suburbs in between these right - they're also tracking very well.

13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Sure do...it does bring smile to my face...I have 3 in middle catchments between 11 and 18 klms out. ;):D

14. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Then unless you overpaid you should be seeing some decent growth in these properties - what suburbs?