Adelaide most competitive place to do business

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by D.T., 4th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

I heard that ScoMo is going to visit NASA on his upcoming United States sojourn - perhaps he's planning for President Trump to float us some Adelaide space jobs? That's the answer - all the semi- and unskilled unemployed will be soaked up by space jobs running the space industry. Brilliant - I'm surprised he didn't bring along Premier Steve Marshall for the photo opportunities.

2. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Olympic Dam.

Yep that's a sad fact unfortunatly. I was retrenched from the car industry in 09, but was lucky enough to land on my feet into another full time job. My case is not the norm though, I still know many co workers that are still reeling from the closure and have not adjusted so well. Many have had to settle for part time/casual work.

Ben Chifley likes this.
  3. Ben Chifley

The Advertiser reports that 4,500 people are still leaving SA every year despite Premier Steven Marshall's attempts to turn the tide around. If we didn't have international migrants Adelaide would be shrinking.

Bayls likes this.
  4. Peter2013

Peter2013 Well-Known Member

No surprise given the unemployment. I see SA's unemployment surged from 6.9 per cent in July to 7.3% in August.

It just keeps going up and up.

Somehow, I don't think "Adelaide [is the] most competitive place to do business"

5. Bayls

Bayls Well-Known Member

The proposed changes to the land tax in SA isn't helping. The feedback I am receiving is the market has stalled. Property managers have said there's been no new investors bring properties on board. Real estate agents also commenting on investors have gone quiet. Then I see the flow on effect to businesses with commercial landlords passing on the higher land tax to their business tenants. This will have to have a negative impact on the employment growth here in SA also.

6. Ben Chifley

In the last twenty years we have moved from having a reasonably diverse industrial base employing a large chunk of the skilled and unskilled workforce to having nothing at all for these people. It's men in particular who are left out of the loop because the 'new' jobs are all service or health industry orientated and more suited to women. The economy here in SA simply can't generate the income from well-paid jobs to drive business forward - look at the latest CoreLogic figures and you'll see the story being played out in our slumping house prices. No private sector investment, no new industries, no jobs being created - it's a vicious cycle.

We'll be at ten percent unemployment before too long and Steven Marshall will still be blathering on about space jobs to the rescue...

Last edited: 23rd Sep, 2019
    Bayls likes this.
  7. Ben Chifley

We have the very highest power prices in the world; we have pretty much the most expensive water in Australia. Who in their right minds would want to set up a business here when it's the most expensive place to do business in the nation?

And where's Steve Marshall? Planning to bring in more "skilled" workers (AKA Uber Eats delivery drivers) - NoCookies | The Australian

Marshall has devised a four-pronged approach to stem the tide. He wants to stop young people leaving SA and to attract back those who have; he wants to win more people from the east; he has secured a deal for overseas students to remain in and work in Adelaide after they graduate; and he has convinced Canberra to give SA a greater share of the annual skilled migrant intake by having the entire state deemed part of regional Australia through the Commonwealth’s Designated Area Migration Agreement.

Nothing about attracting new private sector employers - only a proposal to double the number of international migrants who will stop off here for a few years before moving to Sydney or Melbourne like the rest of them.

I'd be really surprised if Premier Marshall makes it to the end of his term without being rolled by his own party (a la Dean Brown); he's completely bereft of ideas and it shows.

Bayls likes this.
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

I guess it depends on what you are doing, but wouldn't the far lower cost of land more than offset higher power and water costs?

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  9. Ben Chifley

If it really made a difference then you'd see business relocating here from interstate.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    Bayls and Peter2013 like this.
  10. Peter2013

Peter2013 Well-Known Member

Economic "stagnation" fears as SA business confidence slumps - InDaily

Business confidence has crashed to its lowest level in years amid concerns that the economy is stagnating, the latest BDO SA State Business Survey reveals.

Of the business leaders surveyed, 20 per cent said they viewed the economy as improving, down from 56 per cent last year.

It’s the lowest figure since 2015, when just one per cent of those surveyed believed the economy was improving and 78 per cent believed it was going backwards.

Beyond the headline confidence result, the survey revealed that almost half of respondents – 48 per cent – believed energy costs were hampering their growth.

Ben Chifley likes this.
  11. Ben Chifley

It's the ridiculous cost of power and water in South Australia hampering growth; half of all the businesses surveyed actually said that and yet all we have from Steven Marshall is weasel words.

Hopeless.

Bayls likes this.
  12. ollidrac nosaj

13. ollidrac nosaj

14. Bayls

Bayls Well-Known Member

I remember a few years ago meeting with a n inventor from Melbourne who had built an aftermarket Hydrogen adaptor for petrol motors. It converted water to hydrogen on demand before entering the fuel injection system. His problem at the time was raising funds, as the governments didn't like the idea due to them not collecting fuel taxes. It's a simple cost effective and safe alternative. I haven't heard any more since then.

15. ollidrac nosaj

Adelaide robo-welders K-TIG list on the ASX

"K-TIG's disruptive tech has been exported to 20 countries to blue-chip customers like GE, Siemens, Bilfinger, Doncasters and the UK Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre."

Bayls likes this.
  16. ollidrac nosaj

Australian rocket launch site given major project status - The Lead SA

"Southern Launch announced in December it had found a site at Whalers Way on South Australia’s Eyre Peninsula for its launch pad"

"The multi-user rocket launch facility will allow micro- and small-lift rocket manufacturers to launch satellites into polar orbits using cutting edge technology, further reinforcing South Australia’s contribution to the nation’s space sector."

17. ollidrac nosaj

Australia space news: space experts focus on smallsat tech

"The A$245 million SmartSat CRC was awarded in April and has established a headquarters in Adelaide to co-ordinate its 99 industry and research partners."

"He said the national space agency, which is based in Adelaide, would work closely with SmartSat CRC in several areas such as communications, Earth observation, improving GPS resolution, space situational awareness and future leapfrog R&D projects."

18. Bayls

Bayls Well-Known Member

K-TIG is a great story

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  19. ollidrac nosaj

20. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

How does it compare to Parramatta?