VIC Additional tv antenna outlet & powerpoint

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Kimz, 25th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kimz

Kimz New Member

Hi, just after some advise on who is responsible for the cost of an additional tv antenna outlet and power point to a property?
    My daughters bedroom has one single power point only, which these days is a huge hassle. I don’t like the idea of double adapters running power boards. There’s also no tv antenna in this room, only one in lounge room and one in master bedroom. I don’t mind paying a registered electrician to do this if it is my responsibility because ‘I’ want it. I know I’d have to get landlords permission if I was to do it but is it reasonable to ask them to have it done?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yes - completely reasonable to ask for more powerpoints etc if you are prepared to pay for them.

Hosko likes this.
  3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

A new tv antenna sounds like a lot lf hassle. Some sort of wireless tech might be easier?

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Shouldn’t need a new antenna. It’s usually just a matter of running a splitter from the existing cable.

5. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @Kimz

You could ask the landlord if they'd install another powerpoint in your daughter's bedroom for the purpose of safety (ie avoiding having extension lead everywhere that can become a trip hazard). An electrician is the tradesperson for the job. If the electrician cannot install another antenna outlet then an antenna installation/repair person would be the person for the job.

The landlord will likely see the merit in these requests and grant them, considering it would benefit not only you the current tenant, but all tenants in the property in the future. Don't expect it to be treated as an urgent job (eg done today or on weekends since tradies charge more on such days).

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You could ask the landlord to install extra power points, it's in their long term interest to have them. You might even offer to go 50 50. It shouldn't cost too much.

As far as aerial, I don't think that it's worthwhile for the landlord, as people are increasingly streaming video content, and most FTA content is available online. A good internet connection, and a Google Chromecast or Apple TV (for an existing TV), or a smart TV, should do the job.

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2019
  7. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Television is not considered an essential service. Whilst 99.99% of properties have connection outlets and aerials by default, there is actually no requirement for the owner to provide even one outlet let alone additional ones.

You can always ask the question but the response would be hard to guess. For me personally, if I have a good tenant that has been in place for a while and it is looking like a long term prospect I would probably do it if not at least contribute to the cost. If it was a few weeks into a new tenancy I probably wouldn't and maybe look at it at lease renewal.

- Luke

8. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

From a Property Managers perspective, there'd be no reason for us to deny you permission to have the work done professionally. However, I think it would be a rare situation where they would be happy to contribute or pay entirely for either extra powerpoints or antenna points.