Adding value by front/backyard renovations

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by faroutboy, 18th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. faroutboy

faroutboy New Member

Hi guys,

I'm wanting to get into IP's in the near future whilst still owning my PPOR. However, my current goal in regards to this is adding value to my existing house. Dumb question but will working on the front/backyard (garden work mostly) add any value to the equity of the house and to what extent on average?

2. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Depends on the length of a piece of string... adding value .. ask your local agents.
    What is desirable in your area?
    Parking?
    Low Maintanance?
    Lawns?
    Security lighting ?
    Safe play area for kiddies?
    Pool?

3. faroutboy

faroutboy New Member

+1 for Safe play area for kiddies
    +1 for Low Maintanance

I live in the western suburbs of Melbourne (Sunshine area) and I know that development around here is on the rise. The area in particular where I live has plenty of primary/secondary schools including a university. Local shopping is just 5 mins away from us also so I imagine that young families will be the target which is what I'd like to aim for anyway. An entertainment area is also something I was looking into as I do enjoy gardening + attracting native birdsusing plants.

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Truth is that landscaping is a low value-add proposition. It may make the property more appealing and therefore easier to sell but there is little difference in sales price between say a house landscaped and one with little landscaping.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia