Adding skirting and architraves

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Allgood, 15th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

HI Guys,

A bit of a novice question here. Reno'ing our PPOR and just about to start adding skirting boards and architraves. Watched a few online bits but still have some questions...

1. Do you guys use any wood glue/liquid nails to secure them? I thought just nailing them on, but most videos showed them being glued on???

2. Ive got a good mitre saw, but its not a compound saw, Should I just use a mitre box and handsaw or splurge and get a compound saw?

Any other tips greatly appreciated! :)

Ta,
    Allgood

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

1. Just nails as far as I know. Are they American videos or some other foreign land?
    2.Mitre saw should do it. Something that cuts to a 45 accurately. (you can always use some no more gaps ;))

Measure twice cut once :) even measure 3 times, those angles can do your head until you get warmed up

3. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

It's best to cope the internal corners of the skirting boards.

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I did lots of skirting after my reno and just bought an ozito compound mitre. It did the job well but I wish I had paid a bit more and bought one with a laser guide like the Ryobi

Tim86 likes this.
  5. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

You can get away with just using nails but if you want it to last longer and stay in place then use some woodworking glue. The reason for the glue is because eventually over time nails will come loose due to movement in a house and that's where the glue will help. It will still last years without glue.

You can get away with just a mitre saw although a compound is better.

When doing skirting you can either do an internal mitre which is easier or you can have a go at doing a scribe for all internal corners using a coping saw. A scribe will give you a better finish if the walls aren't square.

6. brisfisher

brisfisher Member

Hi Allgoog,

I've been currently going through the process in a 50s house and recommend the following to make your life easier (in my opinion):

1. get yourself a compound mitre saw. this will allow you cut 45 deg angles which is necessary for scribing internal corners;
    2. its a great idea to learn to scribe internal corners as previously mentioned. whilst it seems difficult at first, its a much better finish in the end and reduces the chances of 2 of the skirting pulling apart creating a much bigger gap;
    3. instead of using a tape measure, always mark your skirting first at the opening and then cut. this makes life much easier;
    4. get yourself a ryobi one brad nailer with 50mm nails. this will make life 1000 times easier to fix the skirting. well worth the $300 and beats hand nailing. you can always sell it after you have finished the job;
    5. use pre primed skiting where possible, makes painting easier;
    6. use an adjustable set square to help the 5mm gap around the windows and door jambs. this gives a nice finish;
    7. selleys no more gaps will be your best friend. hides every gap. gaps are naturally going to be there;
    8. for skirtings, its a good idea to use a pice about 600-800mm long to put weight on the skirting when fixing. this minimises gaps that may appear where the bottom of the skirting meets the floor;
    9. for scribing, you will need a coping saw;
    10. measure twice & cut once, and think ahead to minimise wastage as much as possible!!

hope this helps!

dan_89, WattleIdo and Brian84 like this.