Adding second storey but not weatherboard- and change the facade into French Provincial

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Fvalemus, 11th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Fvalemus

Fvalemus Well-Known Member

Guys, I know it is a weird requirement.

I currently have a single storey home, with the main building about 100 sqm.

I'd like to add another storey but with these requirements:
    1. the second storey must not be weatherboard
    2. I'd like to make the facade for the first and second storey uniform: french provincial facade and style with windows and fake balconies... I don't need a real balcony (like picture below, but my house won't look like this as it in a cul-de-sac

Is it possible and achievable? Any rough estimate how much will cost?

[​IMG]

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t you just knock down and build it fresh?

3. Fvalemus

I am contemplating that... wouldn't that be way more expensive?

If I give my wife the full control of the design and build quality, it will be about $3,000-$4,000 per sqm i.e. for a 200 sqm house will be $600k-$800k.

My budget is lower, give or take $400k, but I have $700k available.

4. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Need some more info. Is the existing single storey a double brick external wall house with single brick interior walls? Concrete base or brick piers for foundation?
    What size is second storey? Did you want to add 100m2 so it sits exactly on downstairs?

Last edited: 12th Jun, 2022
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Are the existing foundations strong enough to support a second storey?

Sometimes you get a much better outcome by rebuilding.

wylie and JacM like this.
  6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

What Marg said. It might well be thr existing foundation won't support a second storey anyway. Scope that out first.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

When we've renovated old houses (and we've done quite a few) the comment has always been that it is more expensive to work with the existing building than if we knocked them down and started from scratch.

thatbum and Marg4000 like this.
  8. Marg4000

And it is not just the cost to consider.

If you add a storey, your design will be constrained by the original building - placement of stairs, plumbing connections etc. These can make it difficult to get a cohesive end result.

Suggest investigating and costing both options.

wylie likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

KDR would be the way to go but you will need to factor in renting for a year.

Does the area justify a custom design or can you get away with an off the shelf project home?

10. Fvalemus

Please see an extract from the valuation when I bought the property.

upload_2022-6-12_16-15-57.png

11. Fvalemus

I am open to any advice / suggestions from the designer/builder.

I need to know the design, but mainly I am after 1 bedroom, is going to be a new Master with WIR and ensuite (ca. 50 sqm) and one living area (library/study/additional bedroom if needed) of ca. 25-30sqm. So I would say, 75-80sqm would be ideal to at least have a significant space improvement.

Not necessarily this size below for the Master, but I love this design.

[​IMG]

12. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I have similar layout. Don’t do what I did, make sure you leave enough room for bedside tables!

13. Fvalemus

I just check my council's requirement for min. rear setback for 2 storey building is 6m. My current main building setback is about 4.5m, any trick to make the second storey building ends 1.5 shorter than than the 1st storey? I don't know, it's quite hard to even renovate your own home.

14. Fvalemus

Montgomery Homes

Knock Down Rebuild Costs

A common concern when renovating is the unknown costs that may arise throughout the project. Quite often, renovations end up costing twice as much as what was first anticipated as new problems are uncovered when the project begins.

If you choose to knock down and rebuild with an experienced builder like Montgomery Homes, we'll conduct an in-depth site analysis, prior to any down payments, to determine the costs to knock down and rebuild a brand new home.

On average, a Knock Down Rebuild costs two to three times less than a major renovation. And the benefit of knocking down and starting again is you get to customise everything you've always wanted, from better insultation, a bigger kitchen, to that extra bathroom.

--------------------------

Guys, anyone can verify that above is true?

A KDR costs 2-3x LESS than a major renovation, what does that mean?

If I add a 2-storey for example, my initial estimate, it will cost me $400k (100 sqm x $4,000).
    If I do KDR, using the statement above, am I correct if it means I will spend same amount of money (e.g. 200sqm (100+100) x $2,000 = $400k)

15. Marg4000

That sentence is meaningless. The term “on average” is far too vague, and rebuilds and renovations vary vastly. It does not say that EVERY rebuild will be two to three times cheaper than renovating.

Ignore it - just sales hype.

wylie likes this.
  16. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I agree with you in most respects, but I would say its a very fair thing to say and generalise on if we're making roughly equivalent square meterage of finished house.

It's often just easier, quicker (and therefore cheaper) to start again from scratch rather than trying to work and build around and attached to an old existing structure.

17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

100sqm is not much. Is it like a 3 x 1?
    I suspect by the time you find space for a staircase and structural components to support a second storey that the downstairs design will be so compromised that you'll be much better off knocking it down and building fresh.
    Especially considering the style you want which is a lot of render, window shapes, corbelling and good heights to rooms.
    It would have to be one of the more expensive exterior styles to build but if you can keep the size down to less than 200sqm + garage then you will fit within your upper budget ( $700k) providing you don't go overboard and you find a cookie cutter builder to do it.

Dave Radelaide and craigc like this.