Adding another bedroom? (1bed > 2 bed)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Chaumander, 16th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chaumander

Chaumander Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions on whether moving the kitchen downstairs and adding a wall to create 2nd bedroom upstairs would add much value. See floorplan attached. This is in the Inner West of Sydney and it is designated for mix-use.

We're currently living in it as our PPOR and happy with 1 bed for now but we're thinking of upgrading in the next 1 or 2 years (so no rush to get this done, but want to plan ahead). So adding another bedroom would only happen when we're ready to move out or sell.

I'm unsure if it's worthwhile? Right now it feels spacious for a couple, and would feel more cramped with a 2nd bedroom.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance! :)

Attached Files:

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Personally I would seriously consider it.
    I'd see if I could put it under the stairs though

[​IMG]

David_SYD, craigc, Lacrim and 9 others like this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

May be costly concerning council approvals and replumbing etc. May need to consider the downstairs flooring as a further cost to do this.
    Strata approval ?

The fire hazards for the stairs may need some Natl Construction Code considerations too. A heat and flame source directly under is sure to have some limits and why a floor oven is in image Rangehood heights and setbacks for gas and more. Electrical installs must be to appliance manufacturer specs and some of them can be difficult. Hence the floor oven in image above
    Cooktop and oven installation requirements

4. Chaumander

Thanks! I really like that idea!

The flooring upstairs and downstairs is the same, but there is a wall where the stairs are (that currently makes a 'storage' space) that would need to be removed etc....

I know next door has brought their kitchen down, but not under stairs. Might be just where I've drawn it. Not sure whether they got strata approval, but that means it's at least possible plumbing/gas wise right?

Good point about the construction code considerations... not sure how to find that out. Might be a question for whoever I get quotes from?

Westminster likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

From your designer or architect

Chaumander likes this.
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Would appear doable ;)

I'd put a robe against the bathroom wall in the "new" bedroom (so it helps to limit noise transfer).

Clearly the upstairs bathroom has plumbing (services) are going somewhere, so even if you had to put a (reverse) L shape kitchen against the rhs wall under the bathroom, would help seperate a small dining table at the rear near the stairs (or even a breakfast bar) to separate the lounge end nearer the entry :cool:

Am +1 for the kitchen under the stairs as @Westminster :D (easily fireproofed and a circulating rangehood) but if the services are behind the rhs wall, the extra cost to run service to the lhs may be prohibitive :()

As per others, if it isn't a free standing title you will have to go to strata, can't see a problem for council so long as fire detection/alarms are in the correct locations

Last edited: 16th Apr, 2020
    Westminster likes this.
  7. Chaumander

I'm glad to hear it isn't a terrible idea :rolleyes: and so thankful for all the great suggestions.

This might be a silly question but would a kitchen renovator company be able to do the wall removal and everything, or would I have to approach a builder separately for that?

I read somewhere on the forum that the cost should give me 3x value add to make it worthwhile. Is this a good measurement for me to decide whether it's good value and worth the effort? eg. if it will cost me 30k, it would have to value add 90k?

I haven't done anything like this so have no idea of prices right now. I guess I would also approach an agent and they can tell me what it would be worth if I was to do those changes? Exciting but daunting! :oops:

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn’t count on getting a 3 x return on renovation cost but adding a bedroom plus adding a new kitchen are big changes and improve the apartment way more than just cosmetic changes.

A local agent would be the one to ask this (as you plan on doing).

9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pin my hopes on a big increase in rental return.
    Having said that, you should expect a decent increase when selling :D

Archaon likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Scope of works will determine issues. Any building works (structural walls and flooring), plumbing and electricals needs to be coordinated and managed to schedule. But may add to costs. Or you can project manage the lot but will also then need to submits plans etc for approval where a builder would do that and ensure code is complied with (its their license). Maybe start with a local builder or two for a idea on cost then discuss with agent. Builders can fit a kitchen but a kitchen place may be limited in project managing and building works. I'm sure they have builders they call on.

11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I don't think I've read 3 x? But personally for renovation I'd be happy with 1.5 x

wylie likes this.
  12. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Ask your neighbor for their builder's information as they have been there and done that.

13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

that looks like a no brainer for me,
    provided council/strata etc. are all fine,

under the stairs was going to be my suggestion too, whats there now? if its cupboard, you can take it out,

rental return might not be a huge increase, but CG would have to be decent

14. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Might be worth having a chat to your neighbours. The looks of that floorplan obviously lends itself to a 2br conversion.

Maybe others in the complex have already done it?

If they have it would be good to see how they got around any issues, it would also give you a precedent when approaching the body corp.

15. Chaumander

Thanks everyone, super helpful comments - so glad I posted :)

There's only 3 in the complex that have this floorplan (incl. mine). The rest have a 'loft style' bedroom, with a unit either above or below them. Ours have no one above/below us. No cupboard under the stairs, just empty space for storage.

Only the one neighbour has brought their kitchen down, but not under the stairs, just against the wall of. They also just moved the original kitchen (not a new kitchen). The owner doesn't live there though so I can't ask any questions about their builder/strata process. Strangely, their updated floor plan just says 'living area' upstairs, despite it definitely being used as a bedroom? Still comes up as a 2/1/1 online.

I'll definitely look into it when I'm ready to sell and see if it's worthwhile to do any cosmetic renos too (flooring/paint/bathroom). Just gotta save some more to buy first and stash some away for this project :)

16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

It’s an excellent plan, especially with Westminster’s suggestion.
    Do it, do it, do it! Subject to getting Strata/Body Corp approval of course, but since another unit has moved their kitchen downstairs, there is a precedent and that should mean it shouldn’t be to arduous for yours to be permitted too. :)

Last edited: 17th Apr, 2020
  17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd def do this. Kitchen upstairs and living downstairs is just weird. And if you can formally recognise your place as a 2 bedder rather than 1, I reckon that adds at least $50-100K no questions asked.

18. arewethereyet

arewethereyet Well-Known Member

Not to threadsit, but I'd love to get feedback on whether the following type of apartment reconfiguration would be feasible.

layout config.png

This is completely a thought exercise: What if I could purchase an affordable 1 bedroom in inner Sydney (which is currently well within my budget including renovation costs, however if like millions of projected Australians I lose my job/have less income in 2021) but I found a way to both live in and earn income from the space?

Is it possible to reuse existing water and waste outlets to add a bathroom and kitchenette if the layout were reconfigured from something like the current (left) to proposed (right) ... STCA/STSA?

19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Might work in HK.....

20. arewethereyet

arewethereyet Well-Known Member

Ha, yes, HK is definitely known for their creative use of small spaces.

Am keen to hear about whether moving kitchenettes around like this is feasible in apartments without major replumbing?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia