Adding an Extra Toilet - Cost Estimate

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Pumpkin, 9th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

We saw a house in Brisbane and really like it. It's 3.5 beds with 2 Car.
    But it only has one toilet/bathroom. Layout attached.
    The Laundry is quite large with a big Cabinet.
    So I am thinking of adding a second toilet somewhere, maybe in the Laundry.
    But friends say minimum size is 900 x 1.5 or something. Is that true?

I have seen houses where they just erect a toilet bowl/cistern in the Laundry, gave me a fright! Dont think I'd like that.

Hope someone can share some ideas, and a rough cost estimate.
    Thanking you!

Attached Files:

2. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

you're wanting to add another toilet to the adjacent room of the existing toilet room? :s

3. Pumpkin

I'm thinking in the Laundry. What do you think?

4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

With enough money anything is possible.
    Use current bathroom, toilet and laundry room.
    Rework space to make en-suite bathroom for master, then a bathroom with "euro" style laundry on one wall hidden by doors.

5. Pumpkin

Unfortunately we only have limited budget and not intend to over-capitalise. Just looking for one extra toilet and wonder what's the cost.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What style flooring, slab, timber, on stumps, on slab?

To add a toilet to a house on stumps with access underneath, in the laundry (maybe rearrange laundry so you can put a door on the second toilet), shouldn't cost more than $1k I would think for the plumbing. If you rearrange the room, that's extra.

7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Can you put a smaller length bath in good for kids. As an adult I can't remember the last time I had a bath. Then put a toilet at the end?

8. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Your cheapest option is closing up the door from bathroom to master and putting a toilet there.

It's not really an ensuite if it's the one family bathroom. Only time you might have a door like that is if you have someone in the master that suffers with incontinence.

However, your best bet is reconfiguring the bathroom, this would be your cheapest option I think. Can't imagine it'd cost more than 10k. Blocking up two doorways, adding a pocket slider door, a shower and a vanity. You could add a little storage cupboard too, handy for towels.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10th Jul, 2020
    TMNT, craigc, Lacrim and 2 others like this.
  9. Pumpkin

Thanks, I like this idea, something to start with. $10k is still too much to spend on this house. We only want an extra toilet, no need for another shower.
    Agree, bathtub can be removed or shrunk.
    Many thanks for your sharing, it opens my mind! Cheers,

Zimplestiltskin likes this.
  10. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Happy to help. Yes fair enough, just wanted to point out for future reference if you want to invest more money that this extra shower is also accessible straight from garage, so if you ever get dirty outside you don't need to drag mess through the house. :)

Pumpkin likes this.
  11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Cheapest, quickest and easiest option would be to close off the exterior laundry door and install a toilet there. Plumbing would go through new wall and hook into adjacent water and sewerage at the existing toilet. Combined laundry/toilet.

Obviously restrict access to outdoor clothes line and side yard.

Westminster likes this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Adding a toilet is complex and requires plumbing and underfloor to be considered or wall concealment. A stink pipe vent is also needed or fire hazards can be enhanced but with the close proximity alreday in place that may work. And water connections are close. And then there is council approval. Its not $1k if you were hoping it may be.

Spending a bit more may enhance value. You dont like it for 1 loo. Nobody else will. You may negotiate a discount as they know its only a 1 loo house. Nobody with kids or a female in the house wants 1 loo. Or no bath !! We once had a 3 way bathroom and it was a space waster.

13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'm going for 2K and dumping it in the laundry.

Marg4000 likes this.
  14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

One would expect that to have been factored into the pricing of the property.

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

But it hasnt sold yet. An asking price isnt market value until its sold. The inconvenience factor to must-have reno's have a negative value and it depends if you are a glass full or glass empty type. You wont get $10K off but if you get $6K off and it adds $10K value net of the cost its a win (if you have the cash). I know someone who used the line - I hate pools when they were buying and drove the price down - But he really did like the pool.

I would be going back to the agent with the problem with the house is the 1 loo and weave a layer to the discussion

16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Cistern? Nah! $30 plus some shower curtains will do it!! :D:D:D:D

Thunder Down Under Toilet

The Y-man

Shogun likes this.
  17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Converting existing bathroom to an ensuite and that laundry to a 2nd (main) bathroom is a no brainer IMHO.

Zimplestiltskin and Shogun like this.