Adding a Water Meter Canberra

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Goosehead, 29th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Goosehead

Goosehead Well-Known Member

I own a 2 bedroom walk up in Canberra that is part of a strata management title. The strata has only two properties with the other property being a house in front separated by a backyard. Frustratingly there is only one water meter that is managed by the body corporate and the owners fit the bill. Has anyone been through the process of splitting the feed into two meter? I have heard that the fee is excessive and no one is doing it. Having said that no one has given me a quote. It can’t be that hard to split the main before the meter feed the two new directions onto meters and plumb the outlet into the two directions. Anyone with experience I would appreciate some information.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Can be very costly. We have a commercial strata with 10+ occupants and two meters. Building 1 and 2. The cost was prohibitive as meters must be established at entry point then plumbed to each unit. Instead strata pays all water and a share is applied based on strata entitlements not actual unitholder consumption. And thats just the physical meter. You need to consider how the existing arrangement is plumbed. I will argue your water runs off the back of the main dwelling not from the meter directly.

When this was explored the issue of per unit sewer service levies also came up. Apparently at present one charge is applied. If split it would become 10x minimums. That silenced the minority who suggested they were paying for water they didnt use.