Adding a Studio/Garden Room in your tiny backyard!!!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by SouthBoy, 2nd Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SouthBoy

SouthBoy Well-Known Member

While inspecting a property over the weekend, I came a cross a property 16km from Sydney CBD in a 310sqm block, which had the coolest studio unit in the backyard. It had down lights, wall mounted TV, mini fridge (full of beers of course). Size was about 3m x 3m. I couldn't get it out of my head, as this is the type of man cave, I've been dreaming about for a while. The problem is my house takes up about 320sqm and sits in a 440sqm block and I am not sure if my council would allow me to put a small studio of this type, in my tiny backyard. I was looking through the internet and came across a business (http://www.melwoodcedarsheds.com), who are advertising NO COUNCIL approvals required, if I buy one of their products. I am not sure how this is possible! Has anyone used them? Can anyone suggest a way I can get my studio put in, with minimal fuss. I don't intend to add bathroom/kitchenette to it, nor do I intend to rent this out. Its for my PPOR.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I didn't have a good look but I'd say it's classed as a "shed "similar to a removable garden shed so it can get through council that way. As long as it doesn't exceed a certain size and is removable your good to go. like a big kids cubby house.
    If you have no intention moving I day do what you like. Knock it down before you sell

3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Some nice little sheds in that photo gallery of theirs. As Bob said, they're like grown-ups' cubby houses - the same size as a big garden shed.

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

If only they could be rented out (legally):)

5. SouthBoy

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

As others have said, the rules for 'sheds' allow you to do it and there are some mighty fancy ideas out there.

There should be quite a few providers or you can buy an actual shed and convert. Insulation would be the most critical in my mind to make your man cave comfy.

http://www.diycabincompany.com.au/build-your-own-cabin-products.php

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There are also specific rules for granny flats which bypass council under complying development.

8. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

SouthBoy likes this.
  9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

10. Tonibell

Our block is 900m2 - I should add that we had a 20m2 shed shed and a 10m2 shed connected.

The place we used was :

http://smartlookingsheds.com.au/home/4590458396

Note the comments on the front page :

You can build 2 x 20 sqm sheds without council needing to know

Last edited: 3rd Nov, 2015
  11. SouthBoy

Thanks @Tonibell, Do these guys also take care of hooking power to the shed as well? or do I have to source my own electrician? Out of curiosity, how solid/sturdy is your structure? Been having some unpredictable stormy weather lately and the last thing I want is the shed uprooted or the roof flying off and doing a runner.

12. Tonibell

@SouthBoy In our case they handled everything - including electricity and even the Foxtel connection.

The quote included ceilings fans but subsequently we changed this for air conditioning.

This is a called a shed for compliance reasons only - it is a solid as our house. It is technically relocatable but it has plasterboard walls and ceiling with insulation, windows, doors, timber raised floor etc.

It is nothing like the steel sheds you might be picturing - it is a shed by name only.

I'd definitely recommend the company I used.

SouthBoy likes this.
  13. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Aren't people renting out tents in their backyards in Sydney for 300 a week......?? Any council approval req for that? :eek:

14. bob shovel

There's to much "do I need to ask council " these days! Those oxygen thieves don't need to be asked

But the camping is taking off, like airbnb but in a tent or van
    Homecamp - Camp on private property
    I think that's the main one. A French dude started it. You just provide a patch of grass and a whatever else, power, water, car spot etc
    Great for anyone in the city with a yard! @Depreciator are you onto the camping side? Got room for a tent at your place?

15. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Yep, room for a tent in my yard. There is also a 60sqm building that I will probably put on Airbnb after Christmas.
    I was toying with the idea of getting a little 50s caravan and doing it up and putting it in the backyard to rent out occasionally. I have a pretty big backlog of more urgent and unfinished jobs, though.

16. bob shovel

There's big money in those old caravans now. Easy to fit out to worth a basic kitchen and normal house appliances.
    We have an 80s caravan that I've repainted. Great bones and clean up well

17. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

why not put it "above" your outdoor living alfresco area....?

18. kittykay6

kittykay6 New Member

I have been doing my research to find a backyard office as I work from home. Their are quite a few providers that offer backyard prefab studios. My research concluded that you @SouthBoy are right. Melwood have a far superior product as it is manufactured here in Sydney whereas majority of the others get theirs from China. The warranty is heaps better as well, a 10 year warranty is so much more reliable and a better piece of mind. My home office is due to be up in January so watch this space :) Oh and this is what helped me understand the exemption- Studios, Cabanas & Workshops - Council Exempt