Adding a Dedicated Water Meter

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by kmrr, 24th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kmrr

kmrr Well-Known Member

I own an old 2 bed villa unit, likely built in the 70s that is 1 of 3 in Melbourne. All 3 units share 1 water meter and the wall bill is divided 3 ways equally. As a landlord it is my obligation to pay this bill despite the tenants living there. I understand why and I am okay with the reasoning.

What I would like to know is what are my options to install a dedicated water meter to my unit so I don't have to foot these bills moving forward as it is probably costing me a bit under $1k/PA.

Can I get away with installing just a meter to my unit or will all 3 units require a dedicated meter/virtual meter along with approval from the other 2 unit holders to are currently OO. I would assume this exercise would cost appx $2-3k.

2. Ruyton

Ruyton New Member

I’ve just done mine for under $1k total last month. You need to
    - call water supplier and ask for application to have your own water meter.
    - pay for the application fee and water meter
    - they provide regulation document for water meter installation
    - arrange a plumber to prepare the site to conform with the regulation
    - notify them to give you contact of a contractor to come and install the meter

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia