Adding a bedroom?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Bee-mumma, 13th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bee-mumma

Bee-mumma Well-Known Member

Just wondering from people that have done this before... but if you make another room in a house what is the smallest bedroom size you would want? Is there any minimum size? Is 2.3x3.6m too small?

2. SamK

SamK Active Member

Never smaller than 3x3=9m² is the general rule I use for a double bed bedroom.
    2.3x3.6=8.3m² its not that its too small, a bit narrow maybe for a bed and wardrobe depending on where the door is?

3. Bee-mumma

I completely agree 3x3 would be terrific if I was building. However, in this scenario it’s an existing home to turn it from a 3b, 2bath to a 4b, 2bath. So trying to value add :)

4. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Seems a bit small for a bed room. Good size for an office?

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

A room too small to realistically be used as a bedroom won’t add much value.
    A study or office may be a better description.

When inspecting houses, I was really annoyed when an advertised 4 bedroom house did not include 4 decent sized bedrooms, which I would define as at least 3m x 3m, or room to comfortably fit a king single bed, bedside table, desk and wardrobe if no built-ins. It was simply wasting my time.
    Marg

wylie likes this.
  6. Bee-mumma

It would be a perfect office size :). None of my bedrooms are 3x3 in my home and it’s a 4bed and 2 bath. Maybe it has a lot to do with the age of the properties? Looking into a 70’s/ early 8s home. A single, wardrobe & desk will fit. I’m not asking what is ideal, but for a forth bedroom I imagine that it doesn’t need to be the same size or larger than the master?

7. hobartchic

To be fair, I was trying to figure out whether a single and desk would comfortably fit. If they do, I think you can say it's a single bedroom and that should have value - with a window obviously. It is after all a family home - your target market.

8. Bee-mumma

5 Sunset Place Traralgon Vic 3844 - House for Sale #127533454 - realestate.com.au

This is the property I’m checking out. Dinning to become 4th bedroom and kitchen to be extended into the living area with a island with seating. Loads of Reno to do. Hopefully take down those horrid brick arches. Need a builder to look at it. Interesting. I need my computer! Doing this on my phone is annoying. Hopefully nbn man is here soon.

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

For that area, is there a call for four bedrooms when you only are left with one living area?

That is the issue we found in Coorparoo. We created a fourth bedroom because the third one was too small to really be called a bedroom. We advertised four bedrooms.

As @Marg4000 says, it was a waste of our time advertising four bedrooms, because everyone who inspected wanted proper sized bedrooms but even more telling, they wanted a second living area. We had combined living and dining, not huge, and a huge deck which is fine for most of the year in Brisbane, but we learned our lesson from that.

People looking for four bedrooms (in our area) are either four singles wanting to share (and wanting a second bathroom as well as second living area to get away from each other a bit), or were families who needed four bedrooms, and also needed a second living area for some much needed separation. Second bathroom was the other thing we didn't have, and that also meant we were bypassed for "proper" four bedroom houses.

chylld and House like this.
  10. hobartchic

I think I'd keep that property as a three bed place. Too cosy else. Families need room to roam a bit. Not a massive garden either so living room is important, particularly in winter.

11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Well, if it were me and I really wanted to alter it, I would cut the kitchen level with the benches beside the entry and build a solid wall. Leave the existing dining area open to the passage.

This gives you a versatile area that can be a second living area, a tv room, a study or, if wanted, can be partitioned to give another bedroom.

If you intend to sell, you need to appeal to the widest market possible.

And yes, get rid of those brick arches!
    Marg

TapTap likes this.
  12. Bee-mumma

Thankyou! Unfortunately I was beaten to the post. Open inspection 5-5:30pm today. I turned up at 5:20. Property is sold and contracts in place. I couldn’t even make an offer or see the house!
    Sigh... the search continues

13. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Someone on PC liked the house - rang the agent at 3.35 to seal the deal! ;):p:eek: Just kidding!

14. Bee-mumma

That would be INSANE! Not to check out the property before buying it. Good luck to them if they did. I'm sure it is for the best. Something else is always around the corner.

hobartchic and Marg4000 like this.
  15. hobartchic

People do buy without viewing. It's amazing what you miss when relying on just photos though. I guess the occasional buyer knows the house/ area well. I still think it's dangerous personally. It might be better to wait at the moment anyway.

16. evalord

evalord Well-Known Member

Just wondering if a 2.7m x 3.0m bedroom no built in would be too small? Would someone consider that a bedroom?

17. hobartchic

Would need to check the current building code for guidelines on what constitutes a bedroom. There are minimum requirements that must be met. Or better yet, talk to your builder.

18. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this lesson... we were considering converting our study into a 4th bedroom, however that would only leave us with 1 living room (albeit a large one, 8x5m). I thought a covered central courtyard would go some way toward helping that, but it appears it might not.

If we ever sell I think the best approach would be to advertise as a 3bed+study? Not looking to act anytime soon, but I always have future potential/strategy in mind...

19. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

There is no rules for bedrooms as long as they have a window for natural light and ventilation.

I have done alot of research on bedroom sizes and tbe average i came up with is:

3m x 3.6m the extra 600mm being for a built in wardrobe. If you where building a new house or renovation you really wouldnt want to go any lower than this.

What can work is narrower but longer. I have a 2.7 m x 4.5m room and its prefrectly fine.

20. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Would work for a child with single bed or good study. Comfortable long term bedroom no.