Adding a bedroom, handyman or carpenter required?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by henry_ip, 19th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. henry_ip

henry_ip Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    (The house is in Queensland)

Hi brain trust, if we want to convert the dining room into a 5th bedroom, which will involve adding:
    - A wall with door
    - A wall between kitchen and dining room

What professional should we approach?
    We got quotes from carpenters which cost more than handymen, any ideas if this is something that will need some sorts of certificates of compliance after completion to prove the work is done by qualified professionals and best to reply on carpenters?

The handymen tell us its doesnt involve taking out existing walls or beams, and its only about framing up walls, so they can do it at a lower cost.

Thank you for any advice

Last edited: 19th Jun, 2021
  2. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

How much was your quote?

henry_ip likes this.
  3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Newer houses make it easier ( most walls
    not supporting - roof self supporting) I would get a carpenter or plasterer. I wouldn't stress about their license and insurance.

If it is cheap it doesn't need builder insurance.

Imho

ff3 and henry_ip like this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Just get a chippie to do it...should cost around a $1000 I'd imagine sans painting and if it involves a cheap internal door with no panels etc. It's a very straightforward thing for them to do.

ff3 and henry_ip like this.
  5. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

Would be interested to know the quote comparison - its just stud walls so no requirement for a builder/carpenter to perform the work or for a permit. I cant see it being quoted at $1000 though from a carpenter, hence interested in approx prices

henry_ip likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

With the lack of timber and sky-high prices, steel stud & gyprock - dead easy.

henry_ip likes this.
  7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Very easy job. Like the others said, if you can't do it yourself, get a chippie for the framing & a plasterer.

henry_ip likes this.
  8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe also add on the painting, insulation, electrical,but apart from those added costs it's just a simple frame and plasterboard,then you will need someone to set the plasterboard ..
    Myself as the materials costing with insulation and electrical and fix off materials if someone quoted you one K and if that is with painting then it sounds good.

henry_ip, wylie and Stoffo like this.
  9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Another vote for handyman

I've done similar at home early Covid days when we had a UK citizen on a working Visa stay (our gym instructor when they closed gyms).
    Built 2 walls into a large rumpus to make a seperate room.

Easy job, though I cheated.....
    I used no more gaps, a few dobs on the tile floor, walls and ceiling, threw down a base timber and jambed studs in at 600mm centers to hold up the top plate against the ceiling, stuck an old sliding door in the middle, screwed off some plaster sheets and used some plastic corner strip in the corners (held in by no more gaps again) so it all looks kinda neat, but is all easy to remove.
    Only thing I didn't do was to wire in a seperate light.

AxeLy, henry_ip, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  10. henry_ip

what is dob??:confused: cant find any results on google

11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

A dob is a small amount that when sandwiched is prob about the size of a 50c piece.

Think about scones with a dollop of cream (yeah I know, we all go for a "scoop" of cream:D)

henry_ip likes this.
  12. henry_ip

Thanks for the interesting knowledge!

13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

We also put a temporary wall in, when we needed another room, and have now removed it without a trace. My instructions to Hubby was that he needed to jam the studs so tight that he didn't need to drill the tiles below or the feature brickwork on on of the walls. He did an amazing job, & if you didn't know it was temporary, you wouldn't have known. It didn't need a separate light, as the area already had a separate light, but that wouldn't have mattered, as he's an electrician by trade anyway.

Stoffo and henry_ip like this.
  14. henry_ip

How much it cost you? We received vastly different quotes , some are very cheap while some are expensive

15. jared7825

I'm guessing quotes from $1500-3500
    The examples provided above are temporary solutions where the wall is not really secured to the floor or ceiling its more a tight "friction fit". Would not recommend this if you are going to convert this into a bedroom for long term use

16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

The price of the pine & the gyprock. We did it ourselves.

17. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Be wary of council approval. It isnt exempt. On sale you will need to explain to a buyer why the occupancy cert says 4 bed and the sale was 5 bed.

Steel framing and gyprock not too hard. Consider insulation given the room location. Key to a better finish not looking like a homeless persons cave is finished door jambs, architraves, skirting, cornices that match, proper matching door. Simple Hipages job but for it to be reasonably finished $2K ready to paint.

Last edited: 21st Jun, 2021
    ff3 likes this.
  18. jared7825

Paul, This is in QLD and I didn't think a certificate of occupancy is required for the sale of established stand alone dwellings - Class 1a building?
    It has not been required on the residential properties I have purchased in Qld.