Adding a bedroom along with ensuite

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by karthik.s, 19th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. karthik.s

karthik.s Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,
    Need your inputs on how to mange my current requirement

I am planning to buy a land from a developer and builder will build the houses based on the plan designed by the developer.

My requirement is to add an additional bedroom ground floor for my mom with an ensuite.

I reached the builder but they mentioned they unable to make any changes to the plan as it is developed by the developer.

I am planning to get it done by a seperate builder after the construction is completed by the existing builder.

Could you please provide your inputs on how to get council approval and steps involved in this process ?

Also does it add value to the property ?
    Please find the attached plan for the details I have mentioned.

Attached Files:

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Why can't you use your own builder?
    In my opinion, you would be best served to build it how you want it from the start, instead of building a brand new house then deciding to add an extension right after construction is completed.

craigc, wylie and Stoffo like this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Firstly you will need to check over the sale contract for the house and land about any caveat. You may not be allowed to change the design even after you have completed the build.

Why buy this particular land and build this particular house if it is not what you want?

Lindsay_W, Joynz, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Don’t buy this house/land if it’s not what you want. You may not be able to add a room in future because it may lead to too much coverage of the site.

Also, adding an addition works out more expensive afterwards. How would the builder get access - many estate builds only have access to the backyard through the garage...

Last edited: 19th May, 2020
    Michael Mitchell and Westminster like this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

This post has been put in two sections of the forum - suggest deleting one to avoid confusion.

6. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

how big is the block of land?

7. karthik.s

Thanks for the response. It ticks all the boxes except the bedroom and I just don't want to miss this if I have a chance to build one later.

8. karthik.s

350m2. The house is a dual storey home with 199m2.

9. karthik.s

Thanks for the reaponse. Do you explain what you mean by too much coverage ??

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

There are rules about the proportion of a site that can be covered by the physical building.

The rules vary by state.

11. karthik.s

Thanks Joynz. I just researched about this and it seems like I can build till 235m2 on a lot size >300-350. Actual construciton is 200 (and my plan is to include another 24-30m2).

Attached Files:

12. karthik.s

Its kind of house and land package where I have to purchase the land and then the developer uses the builder to build what they have planned and approved by DA. I checked with the builder but they mentioned they just build the house and they cant change any plans (as its developed by the developer).

13. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Then the product isnt what you want and you shouldnt be buying it.

Angel likes this.
  14. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Ok, with this kind of scenario it's likely you could overpay for the property but a bank valuation will tell the story.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.