Adding a balcony - strata building

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by JonoD, 19th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JonoD

JonoD Active Member

Hi All

Has anyone had any experience in adding balconies to an existing strata building?

Just after some insights into costs/ size/ construction style - were in the early stages of assessing feasibility for a small building of 6 (5 are keen....1 owner still to be contacted). Design wise, half would suit a Juliet and the other half a proper balcony say 2.5 x 1.3 m.

Will be chatting to council and a builder soon, just seeing if anyone has done similar ( well only proceed if the $ add up

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Very expensive....

3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Are you aware of the procedure and costs involved in changing the strata plan and are the other lot owners in agreement to your thoughts?

That bridge needs to be crossed before you start pricing the works.

4. JonoD

JonoD Active Member

yep, aware of the process and costs of changing strata. If we went ahead with this wed likely do so via a by-law for exclusive use (have similar in place for garages and courtyards ).

Reasonable support.... As mentioned above 5 of 6 owners want to look into it ( 6 th to be contacted)... It was raised by 2 other owners with me.... So I said I'd do some initial investigation....

The juliette style "balconies" should be pretty simple installs... I'm more interested in people's experiences in building a new proper balcony - it's a 4 story triple brick rendered building - I'm assuming ( without having the builder look at it yet) that we could:

A) build up from new footings from ground level IR
    B) insert structural beams perpendicular on levels 1.2 and 3

Iran exisiting window would be created to a door for each.

The kind of project where if it could be done for $25k per unit it might stack up in value add... Much higher not worth it ( the units in the strata would range in value from $1.3 to $1.75 m )

5. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Investigate whether an engineer can design a bolted on to facade for a Juliette balcony (non-trafficable) if this will meet the brief.

I have yet to come across triple brick construction except for retaining walls.

Cantilever balconies will require support from exposed beams in the floor below/fixed to ceilings - is that something that owners are prepared to accept?

Creation of exclusive use bylaws may not apply as these areas are not accessible without going into a unit. It will require redrafting of the strata subdivision and a DA.

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2015
    JonoD likes this.