Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Adding 2nd storey to home

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jezzalinko, 27th May, 2016.

1. Jezzalinko

Jezzalinko Member

Hello All,

Looking to add a second storey to my PPOR and would like to hear from anyone who has had experience or can provide tips / advice

House Info-
    -3x2x2 brick and tile home built early 1990's.
    -932sqm block
    -good ocean views could be achieved from 2nd storey.
    -provision in the middle of the house for staircase (small study area)

Driving force behind this is that we need a 4th bedroom by early next year, instead of building a new house at the back (block is subdivdable) we can add the value to the exisiting house by capatialising on the ocean views and creating more livable spaces.

My initial thinking is to get a builder / contractor to do the bulk frame construction and roof, finish the exterior to lockup and handle any building applications etc that would need to be done. I would have the inside fit-out finished by mates who are tradies.

Pictures attached to give you an idea.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 27th May, 2016
  2. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Could be a good plan.

Just keep in mind that sometimes these extensions can cost as much as a new double story build. So make sure you price it up correctly and decide then if its worth doing the extension.

Also if you built new you could put a double story house at the front and over to allow the subdivision and access to the back block. Or is it possible to split the block down the centre. Or do you not have the frontage for it?

Jezzalinko likes this.
  3. Jezzalinko

Jezzalinko Member

I had a builder from a small family owned company come around today and have a look at the job. He said ball park figure was around 180-220k!! and that wasn't even fully finished (-flooring/ curtains etc).

How do they justify that cost? You can build a new 3x2x2 house for that!?

Back of the envelope numbers just don't stack up for the value it would add.

Has anyone had experience with renting a building ticket doing it themselves?

4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

For raising and building in under my 10m by 10m house, doing all the work myself cost close to $90 000. Renovating upstairs cost $35 000. So thats pretty much just parts cost there.

It all adds up.

5. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

It is all the 'what if' on a reno, as an owner builder you can see how it goes on certain things, if you are providing a quote you need to assume everything you find is going to be stuffed and take longer to fix than it should. when you are building its more known what you are up against.