Addicted to Investing

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by dunno, 18th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

that's a excellent position to be in. :)

sharon likes this.
  2. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

And why do you see this as a problem? I have been in similar situation like you, have not been woken up by alarm clock for the last 20 years, have lots of time, unlike many family and friends who even mention this, but decided many years ago not to compare or feel guilty about it!
    And who said career is the way to happiness? Enjoy the time, this moment in your life, as that is one thing we cannot get back......

Redwing likes this.
  3. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

• How much is enough?
      • Answer all the questions like how many Ferraris I need, charities to support, people to feed, trips to make, beers to drink and you may be able to come to a reasonable figure remembering that you won't be able to drink, travel, eat and drive as once you reach a certain age.
    • How to recognise in a timely, manner that you’ve reached that point?
      • Look at spreadsheet.
    • How to work out what is meaningful for you next?
      • What makes you happy? I read that being grateful for your life and helping others is the best way to achieve happiness. When you work it out let me know.

4. Zenith Chaos

Sounds like you could go down the path of helping others - Bill Gates style. Based on your background you could start the "dunno what to do with my money" ETF / super fund that is absolutely non-profit and helps people achieve their financial goals by building a bridge over the shark pool. You will use your area of expertise and you will help others whilst doing what you enjoy. Triple win.

Your level of altruism should guide you. Just do something you love doing.

Anne11 likes this.
  5. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

sharon, dunno, Anne11 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

What happens when we all believe in the efficient markets hypotheses. Everyone will stop doing that sort of stuff. Then how efficient will the markets really be? Keep it up I say.

7. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Hope springs eternal. Not going to happen :)

Harry30 likes this.
  8. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

This thread is very deep and way more interesting than discussing NTA discount/premium. Thanks @dunno for sharing with us and great discussions from everyone.

I spent 10 years preparing us for financial independence, but I did not prepare myself mentally and emotionally when we get there.

I always thought feeling fulifilled required taking massive actions or achieving something significant. Turned out I can feel fulfilled doing ordinary things, having no desire or inner fear and being grateful. It is a state of mind.

sharon, dunno, Sackie and 7 others like this.
  9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

10. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Yes, one thing FIREies say is the loneliness because no one else is there to share it with you. All the other people your age are busy 9-5ing. There is a great post about this on strong money Australia and posts on reddit and mmm about the psychology of FIREing when no one else is there to share it with you. Thanks dunno for twisting our thoughts to another aspect of investing.

11. Chris Au

So many great posts. Possibly mentally draw a picture of the perfect you and perfect day and fill in where the gaps currently are?

12. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

If married, have kids, have family, go to the gym etc your day would be busy

13. Chris Au

14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Hi, I am Dabbler, I went cold turkey in the stock crash 18 years ago, been clean ever since and am happy I was not skinned alive.

Nodrog and Anne11 like this.
  15. Chris Au

Yeah. I suppose I'm seeing a common thread of a needing a why each morning

16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

That’s nothing. Try looking after three demanding chickens:D:
    86EC98F3-CBBC-4921-BFAC-40469D83EF82.jpeg

sharon, KayTea and Anne11 like this.
  17. JLui

JLui Active Member

Hi @dunno - really good point you've made with this thread and it's a point I think that doesn't occur to so many people until they retire and spend time in their twilight years gathering 'wisdom'.

Yes, life experience and age can open insights to one's life through providing time for reflection and I think many people confuse the attainment of wisdom through old age but I think it's more because a large portion of our lives are spent 'surviving' or 'trying to get ahead'

Years ago, I read a quote - 'the unexamined life is not worth living'. I didn't really understand it at first but over the years I have understood its meaning that one can gain so much more enjoyment and value out of life if they have a better understanding of themselves, why they think, react, behave in certain situations, understanding those around them, why things are the way the world you live in are today, how it came to be and why it continues to happen.

Staying busy keeps people from doing this self-examination and never having to confront the real battle everyone has - themselves.

I suppose this is why I get edgy on holidays where I've got plenty of time to reflect on things but I'm always looking for more exciting things to do. I'm happy I've realized the value of work and of downtime at this point in my life so I can enjoy better the days I live right now.

This quote by the Dalai Lama changed my life but it wasn't until a few years ago that it really hit home hard when my dad died suddenly merely 6 months into his retirement at only 63.

"When asked what surprised him about humanity the most, the Dalai Lama replied:

“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Good luck to everyone on their financial and personal journeys!

sharon, Beyond Wealth, dunno and 8 others like this.
  18. Zenith Chaos

This thread questions the fundamental "why" (root cause using the 5ys) that drives many on this forum - happiness via financial independence (FI - so ubiquitous there is an acronym) via investing (or something like that).

The most important outcome for me is the realisation that happiness is not necessarily going to be the result of FI. Assuming that freedom through FI equates to happiness is a mistake that can be garnered from the responses and the links in this thread.

Happiness can only be in the here and now, not an idea of the future. I will readjust my thinking and hope we've all discovered something valuable in this discussion.

19. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

20. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Maybe I should rename the meetup “Share Investors Anonymous”.

Although not all of the attendees are addicts (yet).