Sports & Fitness Adam Goodes

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by mush, 2nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

How come the AFL and other clubs have come out on his side if it is a non issue and he. Is just having a sook?

2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Amazing that we avoided this topic for so long. :cool:

The booing is mean and has to stop.
    At the same time I'm sick of being made wrong out of the blue and guess others feel the same way.
    There will be 2 outcomes from this: more awareness of what casual racism looks like and more discussion about the futility of blame. It's not a good idea to assume all whites are racist. That's just racist.

3. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

He throws imaginary spears at the opposing fans in the crowd, then tells them they are racist, then cries to Mummy that they boo him even more.

It is simply that he is divisive, his intentions are divisive in nature.
    He also feigns injury to gain a penalty kick, does it often.
    Fans hate that. It's not racist.

Just because he is a minority does not mean he is being singled out for special attention, or does it?

He is simply a sook who cant handle being booed because he is some special person who also happens to be australian of the year. He's on an agenda and it stinks.
    I have friends who are aboriginal and they also call him a massive sook and they are embarrased by his behaviour. They would rather he just go away.

Touristy and bob shovel like this.
  4. Phar Lap

Because the media will hound them if they don't ?

WattleIdo likes this.
  5. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

But they boo because the opposition fans know he hates it. So they boo even more!

I once booed Wally Lewis. It was because he was so bloody good! There was ten thousand chanting "Wally is a Wan ker", so I sorta felt like I should join in. Plus he was giving NSW a flogging singlehandedly! I feel embarrassed about it now though. Sorry.

Of course Wally took no notice of it whatsoever and the booers soon got tired of it.

Goodes is definitely the biggest sook in Australian sport, and if he hated it a few weeks ago, he must be extremely embarrassed now. What a flippen joke!

See ya's.

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

As far as I understand the booing only started recently, after he celebrated a goal with an aboriginal dance. The booing was continuous after that. That would imply that it is very racist in nature.

shelleykins, AndrewTDP and Perp like this.
  7. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Yes, if he at least had the decency to be ashamed of being indigenous, he'd be much more acceptable.

8. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

You have to be joking do you know what a sook is? Have you any idea of Adam Goodes background, where he came from? His guts?

shelleykins and Perp like this.
  9. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Yes just slink back to being part of Australias fauna and flora like the 1st people of this nation were prior to 1967.

10. Phar Lap

There are many other aboriginal sports people who are not booed.
    And some who are, just like the rest who get booed because people dont like them and mostly because they are good players on the opposing team to theirs.

It's too easy to call it racist and berate anyone who disagrees.

11. mush

mush Well-Known Member

Personally, I do not view this as a racist issue in any way,shape or form. I think that the way he humiliated that little girl has upset a lot of people and with all the devoted,great people achieving marvellous things how did he manage to be awarded "Australian of the year"?
    Also he is half British but he seems content to hide this.
    He calls Australia day,invasion day.....what invasion?
    He runs an indigenous youth footy team.....That alone is divisive,dare I say racial. If somebody started a whites/asian etc team and excluded all others there would be an outcry and rightly so.
    He is a highly paid sportsman/entertainer and should be big enough to accept criticism ,by the people who have paid their hard earned money to support his profession .
    If I believed it was racially motivated I would retract that statement,but I don't.

Touristy likes this.
  12. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

That's not true, actually, but it's a persistent urban legend. :)

13. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Well they were never recognised as people or counted in the census so why is it an urban legend?

14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

His name hides a message.

Dam good.

shelleykins and Samten like this.
  15. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

There was an invasion, so it would be factually accurate - even our own legal system acknowledges that.

In any case, please cite any reliable source that Adam Goodes does call Australia Day "Invasion Day"?

16. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

There was a myth that they were regulated up until 1967 by the "Flora and Fauna Act". This has been repeated many times, including - embarrassingly - on the ABC in 2007. It's untrue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_referendum,_1967_(Aboriginals)

Indigenous Australians weren't counted in the census, but were definitely recognised as people, having the right to vote more than a century earlier.

But hey, you won't hear me say that our history of treatment of indigenous Australians is glorious, by any means.

geoffw likes this.
  17. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

You need to read what occurred after the so called humilation of the little girl and how he was more concerned about her. At the time of the incident he didn't know who had called him the insulting name......
    Why is running an idigenous footy team racist or divisive? So I suppose his foundation for educating indigenous children is racist as well? St Josephs College in Sydney runs scholarships for indigenous children is that racist as well/devisive. Kurtly Beale was a recipient should he have stayed out back where he belonged?

shelleykins and Perp like this.
  18. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Divisive means not inclusive.

19. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

She would have remained anonymous had her mother not chosen to parade her on television. Goodes treated her with much more compassion and wisdom than her own mother.

mrdobalina and Samten like this.
  20. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Not sure about your counting.... it was 1962 and Menzies amended the 1918 electoral act so it was 5 years before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.